Principal Graphics Programmer
Media Molecule is a video game development studio based in Guildford in the UK, and a proud member of the PlayStation Worldwide Studios. We are the creators of the multi-award winning games LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, Tearaway, Tearaway Unfolded and we're currently building the next generation of Play, Create and Share for PlayStation 4: Dreams.
We have exciting goals for the future, and as a result we are now growing our awesome team, fast! We are hiring talented engineers at all levels, so if you would like to be part of a collaborative, creatively ambitious team, please do get in touch.
Location: Our studio in Guildford or remote (able to work within the same timezone as the UK via video conferencing due to the need for close real-time collaboration).
Role: As a Principal Graphics Programmer at Media Molecule, you will be a member of our Engine Team where you will be focused on developing and optimising core aspects of the Dreams game engine.
What you'll be doing:
- Maintain and improve the rendering systems of Dreams.
- Monitor and optimise GPU performance - produce systems that are efficient, scalable and easy to maintain.
- Collaborate with members of multiple disciplines to investigate and implement new rendering techniques to make Dreams more expressive and feature-rich.
- Communicate ideas, goals and constraints with team members of multiple disciplines.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Expert knowledge of both C and C++.
- Excellent debugging and analytical skills.
- Excellent understanding of software performance characteristics and associated ability to implement systems optimised for performance.
- Excellent grasp of mathematical concepts and analysis techniques as they apply to game engine programming.
- Able to work independently to complete assigned projects with limited supervision.
- Deep familiarity with hardware details of multiple game platforms, their associated capabilities and performance bottlenecks.
- Excellent knowledge of modern GPU architectures and low-level programming.
- Detailed knowledge of one or more rendering APIs such as DirectX, OpenGL/Vulkan or GNM.
- Experience with multi-threaded programming.
- Significant experience optimising code for varied architectures.
- Up to date knowledge of technological developments and advancements within the games industry.
- 8+ years of graphics development experience, AAA a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject or equivalent industry experience.
- Interest in games.
- Experience with assembly programming.
- Experience with cross platform development techniques.
- Experience developing and refactoring code in a live service environment.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Media Molecule is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category. We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity.