ORGANIZATION AND PROGRAM PROFILE
McKinsey.org is an independent non-profit founded by McKinsey & Company in January 2018 to have lasting and substantial impact on complex social challenges. Our first initiative, Rethinking Recycling, aims to dramatically improve recycling systems in cities around the world so that they are truly economically sustainable, socially inclusive, and environmentally beneficial – thus accelerating the transition to a zero-waste, circular economy. We focus particularly on plastics and organics (food and garden waste) in the post-consumer waste stream, which together drive much of the waste pollution crisis and its contribution to local pollution and global climate change.
We are looking for a passionate, high-performing Big Generators Project Lead or Senior Associate, depending on the level of experience, to join a collaborative program team of McKinsey.org colleagues, external staff, and local partners in Argentina. The Big Generators Project Lead or Senior Associate will be working on our GIRO (Gestión Integral de Residuos Olavarría) project. Responsibilities will include the following:
- Strategy and set-up: Lead a multi-workstream team developing the solution for commercial generators from concept to launch of the system, including the overarching strategy and concept, the business case to make the system break-even, regulatory changes to support the new system, behavior change for commercial generators, optimization of source separated collection, digital platform to support roll-out, amongst others.
- Team management: Coordinate a team of dedicated resources from other workstreams including resources from the municipality of Olavarría, including institutional, behavior change, collection, digital and others.
- Business case: Continuously refine the business case of Olavarría’s waste management system before and after our program as we learn and pilot solutions in order to assess the economic sustainability of the new system, understand the most important levers to make the business case work for the whole and the parts (e.g., sorting and composting plant). Adapt the business case to new cities in Argentina that we scale to / partner with.
- Codification for solutions: Standardize and document lessons learned (e.g., best practices, case examples) from the big generator system and our program to ensure replicability and scalability to other cities in Argentina and globally.
- Local stakeholder engagement: Develop strategic relationships with a range of local stakeholders, including business associations, businesses and waste management providers.
- Senior stakeholder communication: Prepare high quality, actionable syntheses of program learnings and work for regular meetings with senior stakeholders (e.g., program funders), including memos and presentations.
- Contribute to overall financial and operational sustainability of new waste system: The big generator system is part of a broader new waste system for the entire city. You will work closely with the Behavior Change and Operations teams, to ensure the development of a holistic solution which will enable the implementation of a financially, environmentally and socially sustainable new waste management system for the entire city.
We are seeking candidates with significant professional experience in business development or management consulting, and proven track record in managing a team and stakeholders in developing complex projects. The Big Generators Project Lead or Senior Associate will report directly to the Argentina Program Managers (the GIRO program manager and the Scaling manager).
- Minimum 5 years (for Senior Associate) or 10 years (for Project Lead) of proven work experience in management consulting, business development or other related fields (e.g., entrepreneur)
- Experience managing teams of 5+ people for complex implementation projects with diverse stakeholders – project management
- Demonstrated aptitude in conceptual and analytical problem solving (e.g., using data tools like excel and google sheets to develop data driven solutions) and project management
- Financial experience in supporting the development of business cases and budget management
- Professional fluency in Spanish and English required (both written and spoken)
- Track record of establishing credibility and communicating effectively with a broad range of people, from community representatives to senior leaders
- We prefer candidates with:
- Degree in business administration, engineering, or related fields
- Work experience in the strategy, implementation, and management of complex projects
- Work experience with businesses and governments
- Knowledge of waste management and waste regulations
- Passion for making change happen in the environmental and/or waste space.
- We will give preference for applicants who are based in Olavarría or able to relocate to Olavarría; however, we will also accept applicants based elsewhere as long as available to travel and spend at least 10 working days a month in Olavarría
- All nationalities are welcome to apply
- We are an equal opportunity employer