About Maze Therapeutics
Maze is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company harnessing the power of human genetics to transform the lives of patients through the development of a pipeline of novel precision medicines for patients with genetically defined diseases. Maze is leveraging Compass™, a proprietary, end-to-end purpose built platform to advance a pipeline of precision medicines across four disease areas - renal, cardiac, neurological and metabolic diseases. Our flexible business model aims to translate our genetic insights into new therapies for patients as possible.
Maze is comprised of a team of passionate and creative professionals committed to discovering and delivering transformative medicines to patients suffering from both rare and common genetic diseases. We are fostering a culture that encourages vision, initiative and the development of talent. Our supportive work environment inspires creative thinking and freedom of expression, resulting in a stimulating atmosphere where people enjoy coming to work. While we have a passion for advanced science and pride ourselves on excellence in execution, ultimately, everything we do is about patients.
Our Core Values
Further Together – Our path is paved with challenges, but with resilience and a team-first mentality, we’ll achieve our mission.
Impact Obsessed – We embrace the bold, take calculated risks, and learn from our mistakes to improve the lives of others.
Stand True – Our integrity is foundational; it guides us no matter the obstacle.
We are seeking a talented and highly motivated individual with a strong background in synthetic organic chemistry to join our dynamic and highly-collaborative medicinal chemistry team in the pursuit of novel small molecules to treat a diverse range of diseases. The successful candidate will design and synthesize novel chemical entities optimized for potency, selectivity, pharmacokinetics and in vivo efficacy, evaluate HTS data to identify promising hit compounds for follow up, collaborate effectively with team members across disciplines, present project results and strategy in key company meetings, and oversee the work of internal and external chemists. In this hands-on role, the scientist will execute complex chemistry synthesis to aid drug discovery programs and work with project leads to advance compounds.
Your Impact Includes:
- You will plan and execute the synthesis, purification, and characterization of complex small molecules
- Design novel chemical entities in alignment with project goals, leveraging computational and informatics tools where appropriate
- Integrate and utilize modern medicinal chemistry principles and tools
- Integrate cutting-edge synthetic chemistry approaches
- You will advance drug discovery programs by interacting with other chemists, biologists and external collaborators to understand and optimize DMPK and in vitro and in vivo pharmacological properties
- Contribute effectively to patent, report and scientific publication writing
- You will employ sound judgment in the evaluation and strategic decision making around HTS screening data or literature hits
- You will effectively manage or mentor junior medicinal chemistry research colleagues and external chemists
- MS with 5+ years industry experience or PhD. in synthetic organic chemistry or equivalent discipline with 0-2 years industry experience
- Strong chemical synthesis and/or medicinal chemistry experience as demonstrated through publication record or industry achievements
- A collaboration oriented approach to experiments and a hands-on, can-do attitude
- Experience contributing to the progression from initial hit to clinical candidate is a plus
- Passionate about leveraging chemistry for impact at the interface of genetics, functional genomics, and biology
- Excellent scientific expertise in organic synthesis and conversant with the current literature
- Organized and detail-oriented record-keeping skills, ability to multi-task, and excellent verbal and written communication skills
The expected salary range for Scientist I, Medicinal Chemistry is $124,000 – $147,000 for employees located in the San Francisco bay area is listed below. Additionally, this position is eligible for an annual performance bonus.
Maze performs position-based compensation benchmarking to industry market data to ensure we pay competitive wages. Determination of starting salary will depend upon a variety of job-related factors, which may include professional experience, skills and job location. The expected salary range for this role may be modified in the future.
Maze offers a robust benefits package to our eligible employees including competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance, mental health offerings, equity incentive plan, 401(k) program with employer match and a generous holiday and PTO policy.