May Mobility is transforming cities through autonomous technology to create a safer, greener, more accessible world. Based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, May develops and deploys autonomous vehicles (AVs) powered by our innovative Multi-Policy Decision Making (MPDM) technology that literally reimagines the way AVs think.
Our vehicles do more than just drive themselves - they provide value to communities, bridge public transit gaps and move people where they need to go safely, easily and with a lot more fun. We’re building the world’s best autonomy system to reimagine transit by minimizing congestion, expanding access and encouraging better land use in order to foster more green, vibrant and livable spaces. Since our founding in 2017, we’ve given more than 300,000 autonomy-enabled rides to real people around the globe. And we’re just getting started. We’re hiring people who share our passion for building the future, today, solving real-world problems and seeing the impact of their work. Join us.
Embedded Systems @ May
Spanning both hardware and software roles, the Embedded Systems team is integral to the design and integration of our vehicle platforms. Team members develop custom, cutting-edge hardware and firmware, frequently working across functional teams with Autonomy, Software and Data Infrastructure, and Vehicle Integration. Whether it’s sourcing and integrating new sensors to build out and improve our autonomous shuttle platform, or creating software features that have never been built before, we are looking for leaders that want to build embedded systems that will change the world. With our talented team, your work will push the envelope of what is possible in autonomous vehicles today.
Your Opportunity to Drive Success
May Mobility is entering an exciting phase of growth and our team is expanding quickly. The candidate needs to have a passion for deploying high quality embedded software on existing vehicles with AV technology and compelling rider and safety driver experiences. This role will report to the Embedded Systems Engineering Manager.
In this role you will be:
- Developing and maintaining software for embedded HIL/SIL test framework
- Troubleshooting hardware, software and system related issues
- Implementing test prototypes at the bench and vehicle level
- Performing bench and vehicle validation testing of embedded software features
- Learning about all aspects of our vehicle to effectively test tightly-integrated solutions
- Leading continuous improvement efforts, research, recommendations and implementation of enhancements to tools and testing methodologies
- Ensuring all necessary engineering documentation, test reports, and data is generated and maintained to ensure traceability and compliance to applicable company procedures and industry standards and regulations
- Performing complex work assignments requiring independent problem solving and decision making, requiring strong embedded systems technical competency
- Ensuring engineering timing plans, defect / issues lists, risk assessments, lessons learned are created and maintained and providing engineering status for project reviews (e.g. gate, design, milestones, etc.) according to program timing for all projects
- Champion embedded software quality, introspection, and validation throughout the product development process
- Interpreting test results, produce follow-up plans, and ensure compliance with quality standards
- Working closely with Embedded Systems software engineers and designers to fully understand validation needs in order to provide testing support in a fast-moving development environment
- Documenting issues thoroughly when encountered during testing and validation
- Contributing to embedded software product quality metrics and acceptance criteria
- Using automated, functional, performance, stress, regression, white-box, black-box, and soak testing methodologies to test systems, subsystems, and products efficiently in both real-world and simulated environments
- Working across functional teams to carry out embedded systems testing, deployment, and maintenance
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or similar
- Minimum of 3 years of experience testing complex safety-critical systems involving software, firmware, and/or hardware, preferably in an automotive context
- Demonstrated foundation in data structures and algorithms including the ability to solve complex problems with elegant solutions
- Proficiency writing embedded code in C and C++
- Knowledge and/or experience using communication protocols such as CAN, and Ethernet
- Systems-level thinking and ability to understand architecture diagrams
- “Can-do” attitude to problem solving
- Troubleshooting and debugging skills
- Experience in using electronic test and measurement lab equipment.
- Knowledge of unit and functional testing techniques
- Good communication skills and ability to work across functional teams
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or similar
- 5+ years experience testing complex safety-critical systems involving software, firmware, and/or hardware, preferably in an automotive context
- Experience testing for bare metal/state based, RTOS, and/or Linux operating system environments
- Experience implementing hardware device drivers and communication protocols such as CAN, and Ethernet
- Experience using Linux-based operating systems
- Coding and/or scripting experience in high level languages (C++ / Python)
- Ability to read electrical schematics and use oscilloscopes and logic analyzers to debug embedded software
- Experience in developing simulation models for automotive embedded systems
- Knowledge in structured problem solving techniques (8D)
- Knowledge of automotive repair and maintenance
Want to learn more about our culture & benefits? Check out our website!
May Mobility is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with May Mobility to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. If you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: May Mobility does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, May Mobility does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.