Hybrid employees come into HQ or one of our sites on an agreed upon cadence set by their leader and based on the nature of the role. This role is a hybrid role, based out of Ann Arbor, Michigan.
May Mobility is transforming transportation by developing and deploying autonomous shuttles that get people where they need to go-- safely, easily, and with a lot more fun. Our unique technology for self-driving shuttles has enabled us to commercially operate in major cities across the United States, transporting everyday people and solving their real transportation problems. We are unique in the self-driving space in terms of our passion for solving real problems in the market, building a strong business, and delivering great experiences to our riders.
May Mobility is entering an exciting phase of growth as we expand our first-of-its-kind autonomous shuttle and mobility services across the nation. We are looking for a Functional Safety Engineer to lead and help contribute to our safety plan. This includes empowering a safety culture, organizing artifacts for safety assessments, support in defining architectures, and leading the team by example in safety activities. May is committed to safety and is looking to continue to bolster its existing safety team.
Your Opportunity to Drive Success
- Lead safety related activities including but not limited to FMEAs, system architecture analysis, safety mechanism determination, and creating of a complete functional safety concept.
- Support all functional safety activities with product managers, development team, suppliers and customers up to the achievement of the safety goals on products.
- Support and contribute to the safety plan and ensure that the schedule and required artifacts are met
- Train and coach the development team through every aspect of the safety plan through appropriate process and methods
- Create, maintain and review safety work products
- Communicate with all required stakeholders to identify and define technical/ system requirements, safety requirements tied to the safety goals.
- Ensuring that functional safety confirmation measures such as audits and assessments are planned and complete.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Hands-on with an analytical mindset and a proven track record of problem-solving.
Qualifications and Skills:
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering or applicable fields
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in safety engineering or system engineering
- Experience in working with safety standards like IEC 61508, ISO 26262, ISO 13849
- Experience with safety related system architecture
- Automotive industry experience
- Attention to detail and rigorous testing methodology
- Ability to undergo a driving record check
- Master’s degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or similar field
- 5+ years of experience in Safety or Systems Engineering
- Functional Safety Engineer/Professional/Expert Certification
- Familiarity with UL 4600
- Experience with ISO 21448 (SOTIF)
- Experience leading teams through buying, creating, or integrating Functional Safety Qualified software packages
- Proven track record as a Functional Safety Manager through a complete product lifecycle
- Experience with ADAS integration
- Experience with requirements management and tools (e.g., Polarion, Jama)
- Experience in the Autonomous Vehicle space
Benefits and Perks
- Health benefits including vision and dental
- Unlimited paid vacation days and generous holidays
- Paid parental leave
- Meaningful stock options
- Daily catered lunches and snacks
- Flexible schedule around core business hours