DevOps Technical Operations Lead - Systematic Alpha
Maven is growing as a global firm, with trading strategies that operate around the world. As part of this growth, we are looking to establish a follow-the-sun trading support model to ensure that our platforms and processes are monitored effectively, and operate continuously and efficiently. We are looking for an experienced technical operations specialist, DevOps engineer, or SRE to join a small existing team and help shape this vision.
The individual will have operational responsibility for several different production trading and research environments, and will need to gain a deep understanding of how our systems work across the whole trading lifecycle from front to back office. The role will require close collaboration with traders, developers, quant researchers, data engineers and infrastructure teams, to ensure that our production systems are well understood and properly configured. The individual will also be expected to be a strong advocate for operational efficiency and continuous improvement across all aspects of deployment, troubleshooting, monitoring, automation and resiliency.
This is a new role, and the individual will have the opportunity to shape and improve technical operations at Maven. As a lead, the individual will be expected to mentor and coach their team members, plan and establish clear priorities and effective processes that meet the needs of the business whilst aligning with the long-term technology strategy, and to reinforce a strong values-driven culture.
The role is based in London, but the team will be globally distributed. Communication skills, a pragmatic approach to problem solving under time pressure, and a positive mindset are essential for success in this role. Candidates will likely have at least 2+ years experience in a similar role and will be able to demonstrate leadership experience. In particular we are looking for:
- a highly motivated individual with creative problem solving skills;
- a self-starter attitude and proactive problem ownership mindset;
- ability to prioritise effectively whilst keeping longer term objectives in mind;
This is an opportunity for someone who wants to have a meaningful impact within Maven to help define and shape a role that uniquely interfaces with all other functions within the firm.
- Excellent attention to detail, self-motivated, with a desire to constantly improve systems and processes
- Ability to communicate and coordinate effectively, ensuring that your team provides reliable and predictable coverage, including being available for periodic on-call duties
- Experience working closely with both traders and automated strategies in a similar front office environment to identify and implement operational improvements
- Ability to troubleshoot and diagnose complex distributed systems (both hardware and software), and implement effective incident triage and escalation processes
- Experience building and automating all kinds of trading operations tasks using scripting languages such as python / bash, including configuration checks, system health monitoring, alerting, reliability report generation, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to steep learning curves and navigate large volumes of information
NICE TO HAVE
- Experience with KPI-based monitoring / alerting and creation of performance dashboards, eg. Grafana, prometheus, etc.
- Knowledge of standard IT and software engineering tooling such as git, jira, teamcity, confluence, prefect, ansible, etc.
- Familiarity with SQL, HTTP messaging, and network protocols
- Knowledge of different asset classes and familiarity with Bloomberg terminals
- Experience managing operational risk in a trading environment
- Background in computer science, engineering, maths, or finance