Maven is the leading women’s and family healthcare company. Named the #1 Most Innovative Company in Health by Fast Company in 2020, Maven advances women’s health, family planning, and diversity in the workforce by empowering parents to plan or start a family while growing their careers. Employers love Maven because it helps lower their healthcare costs while improving their ability to attract and retain women and working parents. Founded in 2014 by Katherine Ryder, Maven has raised $88MM, and is backed by Icon Ventures, Sequoia Capital, Oak HC/FT, Spring Mountain Capital, Female Founders Fund, Harmony Partners, and individual strategic investors Reese Witherspoon, Mindy Kaling, Natalie Portman, and Anne Wojcicki.
Maven is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager in our New York City office to lead a talented and passionate group of engineers. As an Engineering Manager, you'll play a foundational role in building the Maven platform. You will work with a strong cross-functional team between engineering, product, design, care advocates, and our provider operation teams. Prior experience in healthcare settings is a nice-to-have, not a requirement. Strong people management and task management skills are a must have.
As an Engineering Manager at Maven, your core responsibilities include:
- Spend approximately:
- One third of your time recruiting new team members,
- One third of your time mentoring and building the existing team, and
- One third of your time planning architecture, prioritization, and working with your product manager peers to maintain a high velocity for your engineering team.
- Manage a cross-functional team of 4-8 engineers
- Recruit, interview, and onboard new team members
- Train, mentor and conduct regular reviews for engineers at different stages of their careers, building them into happy and productive engineers with long career trajectories at Maven
- Scope projects to build our development roadmaps
- Collect technical, product, and design requirements for current and future projects
- Empower your team to build scalable and secure systems for Maven's users, both medical professionals and patients
- Foster the curiosity and empathy of your team
- Work with cross-functional peers in product management, design, and operations
We’re looking for someone to bring core capabilities to our team:
- 3+ years of experience in a team management capacity, ideally a team of 4+ engineers
- 6+ total years of professional software development experience on production-quality products
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience building and maintaining a complex set of systems
- Experience working with product leads to deliver on time and on target
- Experience working within some form of privacy, security, or regulatory constraints
Helpful experiences and backgrounds:
Maven is intentionally built using a tried-and-true technology stack that is easy to learn if you are not familiar with all of these.
- Google Cloud Platform (Kubernetes)
At Maven, we believe that a diverse set of backgrounds and experiences enrich our teams and allow us to achieve above and beyond our goals. If you do not have experience in all of the areas detailed above, we hope that you will share your unique background with us in your application and how it can be additive to our teams.
Benefits & Perks:
Mavens are united in their quest to improve the health and well-being of women and their families in our community. We seek to empower all of our team members to fulfill that mission and reach their full potential regardless of function, geography or experience level. That’s why we invest in our Mavens, who are our most important asset in achieving our mission. To that end, we offer:
- Choice of great medical, dental, and vision insurance plan options, including a plan for which the premium for Mavens is 100% covered by Maven
- Access to the Maven platform service and free Maven appointments for Mavens and generous credits for family & friends
- Free One Medical membership
- 401(k) plan
- Unlimited paid time off
- Monthly stipend for your choice of wellness benefits
- Weekly stipend for a *free* lunch
- One-time stipend to enhance your work from home experience (We will be working remotely until sometime next year!)
- A variety of virtual team events such as musical performances, game nights & happy hours
- 12 weeks parental leave and 2 weeks flexible time upon return
- Annual professional development stipend
- 1 month paid sabbatical after 5 years
Maven is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.