Maven helps anyone build a cohort-based course and deliver an incredible student experience at scale.
Unlike small workshops or on-demand online classes, we integrate both live and asynchronous components to engage students without needing to scale up instructor time or support staff.
Our mission is to democratize education through online cohort-based courses.
Right now, many experts and creators don't have the team, budget, or bandwidth to create a high quality cohort-based course. Inspired by the simplicity and power of tools like Shopify and Substack, we are building a platform that enables the best instructors around the world to build the most engaging and interactive courses.
Our small team has built and run world-class educational experiences at Udemy, AltMBA, Minerva, Google, General Assembly, Socratic, and Shopify. We're backed by incredible investors including Andreessen Horowitz, First Round Capital, Naval Ravikant, and Arlan Hamilton. We've launched sold-out courses for incredible instructors like Li Jin, Anthony Pompliano, Lenny Rachitsky, Sahil Lavingia, and more.
We're looking for entrepreneurial, strategic doers who are passionate about shaping the future of education. Could that be you?
We're fortunate to have access to some of the world's top creators across Twitter, TikTok, Substack, YouTube, and more. Our business model offers a 10% fee ('do it yourself'/self service), 25% fee ('do it with you'), and 50% fee ('do it for you'/white glove). This role is responsible for the 50% fee for VIP instructors who want Maven to create and manage their course end-to-end.
- Build courses hands-on and end-to-end for high profile instructors like Sahil Lavingia (CEO of Gumroad), Anthony Pompliano, Li Jin, Lenny Rachitsky, and more
- Juggle working with multiple white-glove instructors at the same time to build their Maven courses end-to-end
- Strategize, design, and execute courses for some of the world's most interesting creators
- Create the course curriculum, write landing pages, manage student applications, etc
- Create infrastructure as you build so you're more efficient and effective with each instructor you work with
- Draw on your interdisciplinary background in experience design, product, marketing, entrepreneurship, and/or instructional design to inform the courses you build
- Start as a hands-on 'team of one,' then potentially hire and lead a team of direct reports. Since you'll be the point of contact for VIP instructors, you should feel comfortable managing and working closely with high profile individuals and their teams.
You’re not only an instructional designer, experience designer, marketer, showrunner, or content producer. This role isn’t any one of those things--it’s all of them. You're the mini CEO of the courses you run, and you'll likely be responsible for 5-6 courses at a time.
Your KPI is the number of white-glove instructors who publish high quality courses and cohorts.
This role will report directly to Wes Kao, co-founder of Maven. We're open to making the above role a "Head Of" role for senior level candidates.
Who's a Good Fit
Picasso said, “There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into sun." You transform a yellow spot into the sun. You’re scrappy, rigorous, and find a way to get things done. You’ve taken a little and turned it into a lot.
You’ve been an early hire on an early-stage team, and worked in a role that was ever-changing because what you needed to do changed based on the context. You have bold ideas, and the skills to gather what you need to execute a realistic minimum viable project.
You're a strategic doer and entrepreneurial builder. You don't just tolerate execution and hope you don't have to execute for much longer--you find your craft thrilling and you love building. You’ll be responsible for the success of your function, not only for a single component of it.
Come Learn, Grow, and Build with Us
We're a fully remote company with employees in Toronto, Austin, New York, and the San Francisco Bay Area. Anyone within 1 hour of US time zones is welcome.
We hire across a spectrum—we’re open to talented folks who are new in their career, and love more experienced people who can run teams and like doing the scrappy hands-on work before building a team. The role above will start as individual contributors. Based on your performance, you might build a team of direct reports. Since you’ll start as a one-person show, you should be excited to role up your sleeves to execute. Our business is evolving fast, so by the time you start the job, the role could have changed dramatically. This job description is meant to be directional and we’re looking for people who can evolve with us.