As Matternet’s Safety Assurance Manager, you will have an opportunity to shape the future of aviation safety in the nascent sUAS market segment. You will enjoy a rare opportunity to perform safety assurance activities for both an original equipment manufacturer and an operator in the aviation domain.
You will be responsible for the proper administration of the Matternet flight operational quality assurance program and will own the policies of the tools, databases, and programs that govern the use of any safety assurance processes. You will function as a subject matter expert on safety assurance processes and will be responsible for their proper administration as we strive to produce the safest products (and services) in the industry.
By fulfilling the requirements of what is required for an SMS, you will perpetually endeavor to 1) ensure compliance with policies and procedures, 2) identify areas for improvement, and 3) evaluate the effectiveness of any hazard or risk mitigations implemented alongside the safety risk manager. This body of work will be carried out while actively promoting a positive and just safety culture.
- Serve as Matternet’s subject matter expert for safety assurance
- Develop, plan, coordinate, and oversee safety assurance activities
- Plan, lead, and execute contractor or vendor audits, as needed
- Own all aspects of safety assurance policy documentation
- Maintain familiarity with current safety assurance best-practices and procedures by completing professional development activities at least biennially
- Create safety assurance training materials
- Participate in periodic safety meetings
- Periodically conduct regulatory compliance audits
- Conduct safety promotion activities
- Assist the Head of Safety with accident and incident investigations
- Plan, participate in and lead emergency response activities and drills
- Continually reinforce a positive, just safety culture
- Facilitate and chair safety workgroup meetings
- Develop presentations and reports suitable for public consumption
- Consult on other matters tangential to safety assurance
In the first 30 days:
- Onboarding and familiarization
- Develop (and own) draft policy, guidance, checklists, and job aids for the organization’s proactive and predictive safety management processes for safety assurance
In the first 60 days:
- Develop safety assurance promotion materials
- Develop repeatable processes for safety assurance activities on a temporal basis
In the first 90 days:
- Develop a safety assurance program plan
- Begin taking steps to carry out program plan activities
- Begin implementation activities for an operational quality assurance program
- At least 10 years’ experience in the aviation industry in any of the following capacities: pilot (Part 61), maintenance professional, flight test engineer, or as a leader, manager, or participant of an aviation SMS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Aviation safety-related discipline, Aviation Safety, Computer Science, Human Factors, Mathematics, Physics, Systems Engineering, or Statistics
- Hold or be willing to obtain a Part 107 certificate
- Compassionate and capable of maintaining objectivity and confidentiality
- Instinctively and proactively seeks and implements improvements
- Ability to make decisions in an ambiguous environment
- Demonstrates strategic thought process
You'll love working here because:
- The people. You will be surrounded by talented and passionate leaders and teams - people who will challenge you and help you grow!
- The diverse culture. We welcome all cultures, genders, orientations, and beliefs. We depend on the unique backgrounds of our team members to help us solve complex problems that meet the needs of a global customer base. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Matternet is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
- The perks. We are invested in you! Matternet offers all employees an opportunity to align their success with the company through equity. Our benefits package includes access to competitive medical, dental, vision, LTD and life insurance, a 401(k) program, and flexible time off.
- The values. Matternet is not a job, it’s a mission. We are prepared to go to extraordinary lengths to make Matternet’s mission successful. Most people would give up. We won’t.