As Matternet’s Safety Risk Manager, you will have an opportunity to shape the future of aviation safety in the nascent sUAS market segment. You will enjoy a rare opportunity to perform safety risk management activities for both an original equipment manufacturer and an operator in the aviation domain.
You will be responsible for the proper administration of the Matternet safety reporting system and the owner of the policies of the reporting programs that govern the use of the safety reporting system and of safety risk management processes. You will function as a subject matter expert on safety risk management processes and will be responsible to ensure that SRM is properly applied throughout the organization as we strive to produce the safest products (and services) in the industry.
You will perpetually endeavor to 1) identify hazards, 2) analyze and assess risk, 3) mitigate risks as low as reasonably practical, and 4) monitor the effectiveness of risk mitigators alongside the safety assurance manager. This body of work would be carried out while actively promoting a positive and just safety culture.
- Serve as Matternet’s subject matter expert for safety risk management
- Develop, plan, coordinate, and oversee safety risk management activities
- Own all aspects of safety risk management policy documentation
- Maintain familiarity with current safety risk management best-practices and procedures by completing professional development activities at least biennially
- Create safety risk management training materials
- Participate in periodic safety meetings
- Periodically conduct regulatory compliance audits, as required by the safety assurance manager
- Own and oversee all SRM policies and procedures
- Conduct safety promotion activities
- Assist the Head of Safety with accident and incident investigations
- Plan, participate in and lead emergency response activities and drills
- Assist the Head of Safety in managing external and internal audits, as required
- Facilitate SRM activities
- Facilitate and chair safety action group meetings
- Develop presentations and reports suitable for public consumption
- Consult on other matters tangential to safety risk management
In the first 30 days:
- Onboarding and familiarization
- Continue to refine draft policy, guidance, checklists, and job aids for the organization’s proactive and predictive safety management processes in preparation for formal program implementation
In the first 60 days:
- Develop safety risk management promotion materials
- Develop repeatable processes for safety risk management activities on a temporal basis
In the first 90 days:
- Develop a safety risk management program plan
- Begin taking steps to carry out program plan activities
- Assist with safety assurance activities, as needed
- Resume responsibility for facilitating workgroup meetings
- Assist with the implementation of an operational quality assurance program.
- At least 10 years’ experience in the aviation industry in any of the following capacities: pilot (Part 61), certificated maintenance professional, flight test pilot/engineer, or as a leader, manager, or participant of an aviation SMS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Aviation safety-related discipline, Aviation Safety, Computer Science, Human Factors, Mathematics, Physics, Systems Engineering, or Statistics
- Hold or be willing to obtain a Part 107 certificate
- Compassionate and capable of maintaining objectivity and confidentiality
- Instinctively and proactively seeks and implements improvements
- Demonstrates initiative, entrepreneurialism, and creativity
- Ability to work well with others as part of a Team and ability to perform well under pressure
- Ability to make decisions in an ambiguous environment
- Takes ownership and accountability
You'll love working here because:
- The people. You will be surrounded by talented and passionate leaders and teams - people who will challenge you and help you grow!
- The diverse culture. We welcome all cultures, genders, orientations, and beliefs. We depend on the unique backgrounds of our team members to help us solve complex problems that meet the needs of a global customer base. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Matternet is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
- The perks. We are invested in you! Matternet offers all employees an opportunity to align their success with the company through equity. Our benefits package includes access to competitive medical, dental, vision, LTD and life insurance, a 401(k) program, and flexible time off.
- The values. Matternet is not a job, it’s a mission. We are prepared to go to extraordinary lengths to make Matternet’s mission successful. Most people would give up. We won’t.