Matternet is looking for a passionate and motivated Test Flight Technician to join Matternet’s Vehicle Team. You will report directly to our Lead Systems Engineer in order to push the limits of our prototypes and certify our production assets for the field. You will primarily work out of our Flight Test Facility in Pescadero, CA to put as many hours and tests on our current and future vehicles as possible. This is a mission-critical role as it is the last step of production or in-development UAVs to establish their airworthiness and the first step in our field operations.
If you love the idea of spending the day outside and putting as much flight time as possible on our vehicles as possible, this is for you.
- Fly! Fly! Fly!
- Perform UAS Flight Test Protocol
- Develop, execute, and review Flight Test Datasheets and Plans
- Record behaviors to help drive Product Quality Improvement Projects
- Use technical memos, reports, and presentations to communicate results and recommendations to cross-functional teams (Business, Design, Engineering, and Operations)
- Participate in root cause analysis and post-test data reviews
- Provide real-time decisions regarding safety, efficiency, and effectiveness
- Frequent travel between Pescadero Flight Test Site and Mountain View HQ required
- Some domestic travel may be required to other Matternet sites
- Experience in test planning, readiness reviews, and/or safety briefings.
- A diligent nature in following safety procedures. This role validates UAVs which will fly over people and are therefore required to possess a high degree of reliability.
- Good technical understanding of quad-copter basics and problem-solving skills required for accurate reporting of issues as well as resolving elementary blockers.
- Ability and willingness to work at a semi-remote test site either alone or in a small team
- 2-4 years of hands-on experience executing test plans in highly controlled environments
- Current, or ability to obtain, FAA Part 107 certification (First 2-week expectation)
- Familiarity piloting remote-controlled multi-rotor vehicles
- Understand autopilots, companion computers, and dynamic electromechanical system behavior
- AA degree in a technical discipline
You'll love working here because:
- The people. You will be surrounded by talented and passionate leaders and teams - people who will challenge you and help you grow!
- The diverse culture. We welcome all cultures, genders, orientations, and beliefs. We depend on the unique backgrounds of our team members to help us solve complex problems that meet the needs of a global customer base. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Matternet is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
- The perks. We are invested in you! Matternet offers all employees an opportunity to align their success with the company through equity. Our benefits package includes access to competitive medical, dental, vision, LTD and life insurance, a 401 (k) program, 3 weeks PTO, 9 federal holidays, and heated rounds of ping pong (once social distancing has been lifted).
- The Values. Matternet is not a job, it’s a mission. We are prepared to go to extraordinary lengths to make Matternet’s mission successful. Most people would give up. We won’t.