Join Matternet as our next Embedded Software Engineer! We have built a strong foundation for a world-class automated logistics system and we’re ready to bring it to the next level with your help.
You will play a large role in the iteration of our current generation aircraft and station, as well as the development of future generations to create seamless autonomy.
Your work will focus on:
- Building out the embedded layer of the aircraft that will expand its capabilities of autonomous flight
- Productizing the station to enable fully autonomous end-to-end delivery.
You will work closely with other members of the aircraft and station team including Electrical, Mechanical, GNC, Mechatronic, and Software Engineering. This is a great opportunity to join a leading UAV team to bring Matternet from R&D to market effectively and quickly.
- Design, build, test, maintain, improve, and troubleshoot firmware and embedded software for the Matternet aircraft and the station embedded systems.
- Undertake requirements analysis, specification, design, implementation, debugging, test plan specification, and documentation of the embedded systems.
- Support manufacturing and operations for quality inspections, bring up procedures, and testing/troubleshooting embedded systems.
- 5+ years of experience in C/C++ for developing embedded systems in Linux/Unix environments
- Strong design and programming skills in C/C++ alongside knowledge of software engineering practices in the software/hardware/networks development life cycle, including software standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, test-driven development, static analysis, and operations
- Proficiency in Embedded Linux, Linux development, Linux tools, shell scripting, Linux Kernel, Linux device drivers, & the embedded Linux platform for ARM
- Strong understanding of protocols, device drivers, and multi-threaded programming
- Experience selecting micro-controllers and working with new peripherals, features, and development environments
- Deep functional knowledge of communications protocols (CAN, SPI, I2C, UART, BLE) and selecting those that are optimal for the application
- Experience reviewing board level schematics and layouts, and data sheets
- Must be comfortable with hands-on debugging at the rudimentary signal level if necessary (using oscilloscopes and/or logic analyzers)
- Expertise in controlling peripheral devices such as: encoders, electric actuators, motors (BDC, BLDC, stepper), sensors (capacitive, inductive, IR, LIDAR, RADAR), and/or complex robotic systems
- Experience working on cross-functional teams using agile software development methods, test-driven development, and continuous integration
- BE / MS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field
- Experience working with Real-Time Operating System (RTOS)
- Some exposure to UAVs and Avionics technologies like ADS-B, GPS, LIDAR, perception sensors
- Experience in build systems such as Waf, Python, GNU Make and CMake
- Experience with software versioning tools such as Git and JIRA
- Experience optimizing C and Matlab algorithms for high data throughput
- Experience with smart battery IC projects (TI BQ or other battery management chips)
You'll love working here because:
- The people. You will be surrounded by talented and passionate leaders and teams - people who will challenge you and help you grow!
- The diverse culture. We welcome all cultures, genders, orientations, and beliefs. We depend on the unique backgrounds of our team members to help us solve complex problems that meet the needs of a global customer base. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Matternet is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
- The perks. We are invested in you! Matternet offers all employees an opportunity to align their success with the company through equity. Our benefits package includes access to competitive medical, dental, vision, LTD and life insurance, a 401 (k) program, flexible time off and catered lunch.
- The Values. Matternet is not a job, it’s a mission. We are prepared to go to extraordinary lengths to make Matternet’s mission successful. Most people would give up. We won’t.