Matternet is looking for a Senior GNC Engineer to join our team focused on the next paradigm in autonomous aerial transportation using Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV). This role will focus on developing our flight control algorithms, state estimators, enhanced features like detect and avoid, precision landing and take-off system, increasing efficiency for longer range flights, and improve safety systems. Since autonomous UAVs are an evolving field, the ability to rapidly learn new technologies and integrate these into product roadmaps will be a key function performed by this role.
- Architect GNC control algorithms and develop a dynamics and control model that allows accurate Software-in-the-loop (SITL) simulations
- Maintain and provide support for Matternet’s existing open source flight-related embedded systems software (e.g. Matternet’s fork of Ardupilot)
- Investigate and diagnose flight-related and other issues by analyzing logs, performing experiments and simulations where needed.
- Draw upon knowledge of the software, control systems, GNC, aerospace, embedded systems, electrical, RF, and mechanical engineering fields to recommend technology solutions to optimize UAV control.
- Evaluate emerging technologies, sensors and controller updates to improve vehicle control in all phases of flight as well as reliability at the systems level.
- Develop and analyze guidance, navigation and autopilot algorithms.
- A minimum of 6 years experience writing software in C, Python or C++
- A minimum of 5 years experience with dynamics, control theory & state estimators for 6 DOF aircraft, such as EKF, UKF etc
- Degree related to dynamics and controls
- Developing safety critical software systems in compliance with certification requirements like DO-178C etc
- Expertise with the selection and integration of aircraft sensors/receivers (GPS, IMU, Barometer, LIDAR & UWB)
- Familiar with developing software in real-time operating systems
- Ardupilot or Flight Control Software as applied to quadcopters
- Autonomous air or land or sea-based vehicles
- Embedded systems development
- Ability to develop software for ARM Cortex-based embedded systems
- Experience with Linux systems.
You’ll love working here because:
- The people. You will be surrounded by talented and passionate leaders and teams - people who will challenge you and help you grow!
- The diverse culture. We welcome all cultures, genders, orientations, beliefs; people. We depend on the unique backgrounds of our team members to help us solve complex problems that meet the needs of a global customer base. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Matternet is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
- The perks. We are invested in you! Matternet offers all employees an opportunity to align their success with the company through equity. Our benefits package includes access to competitive medical, dental, vision, LTD and life insurance, a 401 (k) program, flexible time off and catered lunch.
- The Values. Matternet is not a job, it’s a mission. We are prepared to go to extraordinary lengths to make Matternet’s mission successful. Most people would give up. We won’t.