MATTE seeks a (part-time) talented, business-oriented Business Affairs Manager to join its Operations team in New York. The position requires in-depth knowledge of issues affecting the production and implementation of advertising, marketing and media solutions in all forms of media, including digital and social. Critical skills include the ability to review all forms of marketing materials, to work with agency personnel to ensure they are legally compliant, and to draft and negotiate a high volume of agreements related to marketing and advertising services. The candidate should be well-versed in identifying and assessing risk and finding practical solutions. Advanced knowledge of trademark, copyright, right of privacy/publicity, unfair competition and general advertising law is a must.
The ideal candidate will have experience working and succeeding in a fast-paced, fluid, high-performing and open culture, preferably in an advertising agency or advertising/marketing compliance department of a company.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide variety of contracts, including agency, supplier/media owner, sponsorship, sweepstakes and promotions, talent, confidentiality, intellectual property and music/content licenses.
- Review proposed advertising and marketing materials to ensure compliance with Federal and State laws, rules and regulations, as well as adherence to best industry practices. Advise agency personnel of potential violations of law (including copyright, trademark, right of privacy/publicity, promotions and consumer protection law) and additional materials needed for substantiation for claims, permission for third party trademarks and copyrighted materials, etc., and additional disclosures.
- Provide guidance on an ongoing basis in areas of advertising, claim substantiation, trademark clearance, copyrights, sweepstakes, promotions, rights of privacy and publicity, user generated content, social and mobile media.
- Educate, advise, and counsel management on legal issues affecting business decisions.
- MBA or JD
- 6 years of relevant experience
- Excellent writing, oral communication, analytical and organizational skills
- Excellent business judgment with a capacity to make decisions and give advice, demonstrating an understanding of overall business objectives and risk
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-moving, challenging and constantly changing environment
- Solid organizational and time management skills
- Results-oriented with outstanding attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently
- Ability to handle high-volume, multiple priorities