Who We Are:
Materialize is the streaming SQL database company that makes it easy for any developer or analyst to understand streaming data, answer complex questions and build intelligent applications using standard technology. Whether it’s delivering personalized experiences, accurately identifying fraud, building predictive AI, or discovering new business opportunities, the ability to run complex queries on multiple streams of data and keep their answers up to date is critical to making better decisions about the changing world around us.
We are focused on bottom-up developer adoption, our core software is free to use and source available, our business model is a cloud product that handles management of Materialize and lets businesses focus on building value. We have a vibrant developer community on Slack and as much as possible we work in public on GitHub.
The Materialize team includes engineers who were early employees of Cockroach Labs, Ververica, and Stripe. Our work builds on top of Timely Dataflow and Differential Dataflow, both created by our co-founder Frank McSherry, a world-leading computer scientist with decades of award-winning research in all aspects of data.
Kleiner Perkins, Redpoint Ventures and Lightspeed Venture Partners.
About the Role:
The Materialize web user interface is currently in early, rapid development, but it will soon become the primary way for customers to use Materialize. The user interface for Materialize will help new users become productive with their data workflows and understand the work Materialize is doing on their behalf. Our first audience has been highly technical engineers working with Materialize directly through the command line. Our hope is that through the Web UI we will make the product accessible to data scientists and others with SQL expertise as well.
Our second Front End Engineer will have the opportunity to shape the technology and vision for the Web UI. We currently use React and TypeScript for the frontend. The database backend is built in Rust and our API accepts Materialize SQL, so that the frontend makes requests in the same way as an end user. Our tech stack will evolve over time, so we're looking for people who are excited about learning new technologies.
- Work on the frontend in React and Typescript (and backend, if desired) for the Materialize Web UI.
- Coordinate with other user-facing colleagues in design, product, and developer experience.
- Engage in decisions around what frameworks and tools to use.
- Influence the product and engineering roadmap.
- Help make sense of technical concepts with a human-friendly, reasonably attractive interface.
- Experience with React and TypeScript.
- Experience writing modern web applications.
- Ability to write substantial new feature code.
- A bias toward simple and sustainable solutions to technical challenges.
- Comfort making technology decisions that will stand the test of time.
- Track record of picking up new technologies and skills quickly.
- Working knowledge of computer science basics, such as basic data structures and algorithms.
- Ability to prototype new concepts quickly and iterate for rapid feedback.
- Experience with SQL
- Experience with Python and/or Rust
- Experience with data visualization
- Knowledge of databases and/or streaming data processing
- Knowledge of web performance best practices
- Experience with frontend tooling: builds, linting, deployment, testing, etc.
- Experience with developing human-friendly abstractions for deeply technical products
- Comprehensive health coverage for you and your dependents
- Competitive equity package
- Generous paid parental leave
- Charitable donation matching
We understand it takes a diverse team of highly intelligent, passionate, curious, and creative people to develop the exceptional product we are building. Our dynamic team has incredible perspectives to share, just as we know you do, and we take great pride in being an equal opportunity employer.