Who We Are:
Materialize is the streaming SQL database company that makes it easy for any developer or analyst to understand streaming data, answer complex questions and build intelligent applications using standard technology. Whether it’s delivering personalized experiences, accurately identifying fraud, building predictive AI, or discovering new business opportunities, the ability to run complex queries on multiple streams of data and keep their answers up to date is critical to making better decisions about the changing world around us.
We are focused on bottom-up developer adoption, our core software is free to use and source available, our business model is a cloud product that handles management of Materialize and lets businesses focus on building value. We have a vibrant developer community on Slack and as much as possible we work in public on GitHub.
The Materialize team includes engineers who were early employees of Cockroach Labs, Ververica, and Stripe. Our work builds on top of Timely Dataflow and Differential Dataflow, both created by our co-founder Frank McSherry, a world-leading computer scientist with decades of award-winning research in all aspects of data.
Kleiner Perkins, Redpoint Ventures and Lightspeed Venture Partners.
About the Role:
We are looking for seasoned engineers with extensive experience in testing who like to probe and break things. You will be part of a small and highly autonomous team that is focused on improving the overall reliability, stability and usability of Materialize. These attributes are at the core of our product and make this role a unique opportunity to have a large impact across the engineering organization.
The testing team at Materialize is fully integrated into the regular development process from early designs to final pull requests and therefore requires an interest in learning Rust and understanding software internals. Our goal is to have a team that continuously ensures our high bar for quality is continuously met and tests are developed at the appropriate level.
- Work closely with all engineering teams during the development process to ensure testing at the appropriate level.
- Establish sustainable practices across the engineering organization that ensure our high bar of quality is continuously met.
- Develop automated tools and tests for all layers of the Materialize stack, from SQL execution plans to the input/output connectors that work with external systems.
- Work with non-engineering teams such as product management to develop an understanding of real-world customer usage and develop test plans that cover these scenarios.
- 3+ years of experience with software engineering focused on testing and automation.
- Self-starters that are excited to explore new methods of testing and applying cutting-edge testing approaches rather than being confined to executing plans handed from the top.
- Experience working with and testing database management systems (SQL, NoSQL, NewSQL), large-scale batch, or streaming infrastructure.
- Solid programming fundamentals (e.g. in Python, Java, C++) and interest in learning Rust to evolve our automated tests and tooling.
- Track record of learning new technologies and concepts quickly.
- Ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively, as needed.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong working knowledge of computer science fundamentals, equivalent to a B.S., M.S., or Ph.D in Computer Science. Timely and Differential Dataflow are built upon years of academic and industrial research, and you’ll need to become familiar with the research areas.
- Knowledge of stream processing.
- Experience with Rust.
- Experience in compilers.
- Experience in randomized testing.
We understand it takes a diverse team of highly intelligent, passionate, curious, and creative people to develop the exceptional product we are building. Our dynamic team has incredible perspectives to share, just as we know you do, and we take great pride in being an equal opportunity employer.