Who We Are:
Materialize is the streaming SQL database company that makes it easy for any developer or analyst to understand streaming data, answer complex questions and build intelligent applications using standard technology. Whether it’s delivering personalized experiences, accurately identifying fraud, building predictive AI, or discovering new business opportunities, the ability to run complex queries on multiple streams of data and keep their answers up to date is critical to making better decisions about the changing world around us.
We are focused on bottom-up developer adoption, our core software is free to use and source available, our business model is a cloud product that handles management of Materialize and lets businesses focus on building value. We have a vibrant developer community on Slack and as much as possible we work in public on GitHub.
The Materialize team includes engineers who were early employees of Cockroach Labs, Ververica, and Stripe. Our work builds on top of Timely Dataflow and Differential Dataflow, both created by our co-founder Frank McSherry, a world-leading computer scientist with decades of award-winning research in all aspects of data.
Kleiner Perkins, Redpoint Ventures and Lightspeed Venture Partners.
About the Role:
We are looking for engineers with interest or experience in systems-level software to join our SQL team. This role is at the intersection of SQL and streaming and work will span from language frontends to distributed systems. The team owns both our implementation of the SQL standard and the "brains" of Materialize, the systems responsible for tracking metadata, orchestrating queries, and driving the underlying Timely dataflow computation such that SQL semantics, consistency, and correctness are preserved.
- Design, implement, ship, and maintain substantial parts of Materialize in Rust.
- Manage our consistency and correctness guarantees, SQL function and type support, and query performance.
- Iterate on Materialize to discover and adapt to customer needs.
- Collaborate with other engineers and product management.
- 5+ years of experience with software engineering.
- Solid programming fundamentals (e.g. in Java, Go, C++) and an interest in learning Rust.
- Track record of learning new technologies and concepts quickly.
- Ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively, as needed.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong working knowledge of computer science fundamentals, equivalent to a B.S., M.S., or Ph.D in Computer Science. Timely and Differential Dataflow are built upon years of academic and industrial research, and you’ll need to become familiar with the research areas.
- Knowledge of stream processing.
- Experience with Rust.
- Experience in compiler frontends.
- Experience implementing data infrastructure.
- Experience with distributed systems or high-performance systems.
- Experience in databases, operating systems, networking, or other systems-level areas.
- Familiarity with tools such as dbt, Looker, and Metabase.
We understand it takes a diverse team of highly intelligent, passionate, curious, and creative people to develop the exceptional product we are building. Our dynamic team has incredible perspectives to share, just as we know you do, and we take great pride in being an equal opportunity employer.