About the Role:
We are looking for engineers with interest or experience in systems-level software to join our SQL team. This role is at the intersection of SQL and streaming and work will span from language frontends to distributed systems. The team owns both our implementation of the SQL standard and the "brains" of Materialize, the systems responsible for tracking metadata, orchestrating queries, and driving the underlying Timely dataflow computation such that SQL semantics, consistency, and correctness are preserved.
What You Will Do:
- Implement new SQL types and functions to expand our support of the standard.
- Design, implement, ship, and maintain substantial parts of Materialize in Rust.
- Iterate on Materialize to discover and adapt to customer needs.
- Collaborate with other engineers and product management.
What We’re Looking For:
- 5+ years of experience with software engineering.
- Solid programming fundamentals (e.g. in Java, Go, C++) and an interest in learning Rust.
- Track record of learning new technologies and concepts quickly.
- Ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively, as needed.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong working knowledge of computer science fundamentals, equivalent to a B.S., M.S., or Ph.D in Computer Science. Timely and Differential Dataflow are built upon years of academic and industrial research, and you’ll need to become familiar with the research areas.
- Knowledge of stream processing.
- Experience with Rust.
- Experience in compiler frontends.
- Experience implementing data infrastructure.
- Experience with distributed systems or high-performance systems.
- Experience in databases, operating systems, networking, or other systems-level areas.
- Familiarity with tools such as dbt, Looker, and Metabase.
We understand it takes a diverse team of highly intelligent, passionate, curious, and creative people to develop the exceptional product we are building. Our dynamic team has incredible perspectives to share, just as we know you do, and we take great pride in being an equal opportunity employer.