About The Role
At Materialize, engineering management means serving your team of engineers to create an environment that allows them to effectively work and evolve. Because the team has a mix of backgrounds and geographic locations, this role requires a balance of execution, adaptability, and empathy and the ability to lead across time zones.
As an engineering manager at Materialize, you will report to the V.P. of Engineering. You will also have the opportunity to work closely with Frank McSherry, Chief Scientist and Co-founder of Materialize. Frank was a driving force behind Naiad and created Timely Dataflow and Differential Dataflow.
Many of our engineers are in New York City, but we have engineers in every North American time zone as well as spread across Europe. With effective engineering leadership and infrastructure in place, we could double in size over the next year and will continue to grow well beyond that.
You will contribute to product and technology strategy for your group. You will be responsible for the delivery of the products being built. In addition, you will contribute to the development and growth of the overall engineering organization.
- Serve your team through coaching, mentoring, and management.
- Partner with product to ensure successful customer outcomes.
- Start as a software engineer on the team for 1-3 months, to develop close working relationships with our software engineers.
- Work with cross-functional stakeholders to ensure sustainable, effective delivery.
- Work with tech leads to develop technical roadmaps and to manage code quality.
- Partner with recruiting to create a hiring plan and source, screen, interview, and close engineering candidates.
- Foster a culture of execution, quality, and inclusivity.
- Grow the technical expertise and careers of your team members.
- Develop the essential processes and structure needed to consistently deliver.
- 2+ years of experience managing engineering teams of distributed systems and infrastructure engineers.
- Recent experience at a startup.
- Experience managing a distributed team.
- Substantial hands on engineering experience with one or more of the following: distributed systems, databases, and data infrastructure.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to adapt to different development methodologies.
- Ability to create a sufficient amount of process to help the team make progress.
- Experience working cross functionally with product management, sales, and marketing.
- B.S. or B.A. in Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
Bonus points for:
- Significant experience using SQL databases, Kafka, and other data infrastructure.
- Background in creating data infrastructure, such as databases.
- Experience building high performance, high availability systems.
- Experience working on a cloud product.
- M.S. or Ph.D in Computer Science.
- Experience managing a remote-first team.
As an early engineering manager at Materialize, you will lead part of our skilled engineering team. You'll help create the structure that will enable sustainable engineering growth. We are gearing up for growth, and you could be part of what makes that growth possible.
We understand it takes a diverse team of highly intelligent, passionate, curious, and creative people to develop the exceptional product we are building. Our dynamic team has incredible perspectives to share, just as we know you do, and we take great pride in being an equal opportunity employer.