Material Bank is a fast-paced, high-growth technology company and created the world's largest material marketplace for the Architecture and Design industry, providing the fastest and most powerful way to start and manage a design project. Learn more about us at www.materialbank.com or see below.
We're looking for a seasoned Tax Manager to support and build the US tax team. The successful candidate will have a proven multi-functional record that combines US indirect tax technical experience with using emerging tax technologies to create strategic tax initiatives and process improvements for e-commerce marketplace businesses. This candidate will partner with members of accounting and other finance functions, as well as a broad range of cross-functional business teams, to implement automated indirect tax processes. The candidate will need to anticipate and surface issues to senior finance management team, solve problems, and recommend solutions while performing key responsibilities. The candidate is expected to have a strong sales tax technical background focused on e-commerce.
The successful candidate will be working out of our Boca Raton Corporate office and report directly to our Vice President of Accounting.
What you’ll do:
- Be an important partner in the design and solutioning of an automated sales and use tax classification process for multiple e-commerce marketplace products
- Prepare work papers for franchise, gross receipts, sales and use and personal property returns
- Prepare timely responses and gather documentation for taxing authority notices and audits
- Maintain tax calendar to assure all tax returns and tax payments are filed timely
- Perform tax research for tax audit defense and state tax law updates
- Coordinate with external advisors supporting indirect tax policy initiatives in the US
- Interact with each entity’s accounting department to gather the necessary financial information for tax returns
- Conduct a preliminary nexus study for US operations
- File necessary business applications and registrations
- Review merchant platforms to ensure proper tax settings are implemented
- Oversee tax filing software
- Perform analysis on historical sales and purchases to identify and quantify areas of risk and process improvements
- Review current product classifications and recommend reclassifications
- Build and strengthen working relationships across business teams to communicate tax requirements in support of new commerce product launches and provide continued tax support to multiple product teams during the lifecycle of commerce transactions
- Oversee all external tax specialists, including managing budgets
What you’ll bring:
- 8+ years of tax experience
- CPA or LLM in Taxation
- Experience working for an eCommerce business model with multiple product segments
- Working knowledge of issues across broad range of US indirect taxes and fees in addition to sales and use tax
- Sales and use tax technical background that includes an understanding of US marketplace laws within the context of e-commerce
- Experience automating and implementing an end-to-end tax process
- Demonstrated experience communicating and presenting complicated tax technical matters to all levels across various business functions
- Analytical skills, flexibility, and creativity
- A mentality that balances individual ownership and accountability with collaboration
- Experience with Avalara a plus
What you’ll get from us:
- Great Company Culture: Don’t take our word for it check them out here
- Adobe Experience Maker "The Disruptor" Award (2022)
- ASID National Award for Design Innovation (2020)
- Our people: If you thrive in an inclusive, innovative, and fast-paced organization, look no further! You will get to work alongside some of the brightest minds - Join a genuinely fun and supportive workplace where we keep our employees consistently engaged through internal communication and corporate events
- Relaxation and Celebrations: 2 weeks’ vacation to start, Generous PTO, Sick Days, all National holidays paid, and even more (ask us about this when we connect).
- Health Benefits: Medical with HSA and FSA options, dental, vision, strong employee assistance program. 0% contribution for single dependence and very affordable plans for spousal and family plans.
- Plan for your Retirement: 401(k) with a 100% vesting starting at 90 days with 4% match
- Giving Back: We sponsor multiple events throughout the year to help out our communities. You will receive time off to give back as well.
- Growth: We’ll help you take your career to the next level. We want you to be creative and take initiative which will allow you to grow and create within the company. Most importantly, be the best at what matters!
- Flexible Work Schedules: With business units and employees across the globe, Material Technologies has embraced a hybrid working model allowing department leaders to decide on the best approach for their respective teams, whether that be remote, in person, or a little of both.
About Material Bank
Material Bank is the world’s largest material marketplace for the architecture and design industry, providing the fastest and most powerful way to search and sample materials. Material Bank connects design professionals to hundreds of manufacturers through facilitating brand discovery, rep engagement, and material sampling.
Material Bank has transformed the way an entire industry discovers and samples materials. By removing the friction that exists in the process, we drive business between architects and designers (members) and our Brand Partners (clients).
Our powerful material database and proprietary robotic distribution facility allow members to order samples until midnight (ET) to be delivered free of charge anywhere in the US, in one box, by 10:30 AM the next morning.
Connect with us and discover your career at Material Bank.