Product Development & Production Manager, Soft Goods
Our enthusiast members are dedicated experts in their categories and are influential in the way we conduct business. In order to provide unique products for our community, we partner with companies that make products our members love and respect. Our Product Design & Development Manager will be responsible for developing technical specification and supporting the Custom Product Managers during the creation of new soft goods products. This individual will work with our Custom Product Managers to grow our pipeline of custom products and our Contract Manufacturing Manager to identify suppliers and production partners.
What you'll do as part of the team:
- Develops technical product specifications, drawings, concepts in collaboration with Custom Product Managers
- Conducts research, performs risk analyses to support emerging new product ideas through ideation, prototyping, development, and production
- Creates production plans that ensure on-time delivery, quality and lead-times to support the needs of the business and financial goals
- Partners closely with Custom Project Managers to ensure accurate product development scope of work and timelines
- Supports Business Development Manager and Custom Product Managers in negotiating with vendors and strategic partners on order/production specifications, e.g. MOQ, delivery date
- Assists in the development of new policies, safety manuals, and testing protocols
- Drive continuous process improvement throughout the product development lifecycle, identifying and prioritizing proposed improvements, aligning stakeholders on the changes, and measuring and communicating their business impact
- Creates and maintains accurate BOM costing to support detailed COGS analysis and identify cost reduction opportunities
- Actively manage vendor relationships to ensure effective communication and collaboration, identifying win-win solutions and strategies, negotiating purchasing terms, and addressing supplier issues with material quality or availability
And here are the skills and experience you will need to be successful:
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, Product Development, Business or Engineering preferred
- 5-7 years of relevant experience in the consumer products industry; experience must include demonstrated understanding of soft goods (clothing, outerwear, accessories, shoes, etc.) construction and materials
- Knowledge of product testing and analysis; experience taking product from ideation through production and delivery; experience overseeing the entire production process (tooling, moulds, QC, labeling, etc.); knowledge of global product certifications preferred
- Supply Chain management experience a plus
- Effective verbal and written communication skills; ability to draft technical information and guidelines for others to follow (Technical Writing)
- Strong analytical, organizational, and planning skills to ensure timely and accurate execution of responsibilities
- Ability to work independently with effective prioritization and time management skills.
- Proficient in Adobe Suite, MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) and other applications
- Bilingual abilities (Mandarin / Cantonese) a plus
This is a full-time on-site position at our San Francisco office.
Who We Are:
Massdrop is community-driven commerce. We design products with input from our members and give them a place to connect, learn, and shop with people who share their interests.