The VP of Product Development will provide leadership and oversight to the Collaborations team, an integral part of the Massdrop Merchandising and Product Development umbrella. Reporting directly to the Chief Merchandising Officer, they will have primary responsibility for leading strategy, driving execution, developing talent and improving processes to continuing the product development lifecycle, focused both on collaborations with key vendor partners and contract manufacturing of products all exclusive to the Massdrop site. Massdrop collaborates with community members, make products with their ideal features, and helps bring the community vision to life through a consistent flow of enthusiast grade products.
You will have a proven track record of success through creative approaches to complex business, merchandising and product development operations and processes. You will provide continuous improvement through strategic partnerships and foresight into the product pipeline for the Collaborations team. You will deliver on the committed Collaborations merchandise roadmap with world-class quality and timing.
Here is what you'll do as part of the team:
- Work with the Chief Merchandising Officer to create an overall product strategy tied to the company's operating goals and objectives
- Create and manage a multi-year product development calendar.
- Define and execute an on-brand design language
- Understand the underlying aspects which determine product desirability for Enthusiasts
- Program Management across all relevant MD communities and product categories
- Collaborate with Brand Creative Director to ensure design alignment
- Direct oversight and collaboration with the Directors of Product Development.
- Development Managers to ensure all timelines are developed and up to date, project status is communicated to stakeholders, and risks and dependencies are highlighted
- Key management, oversight and responsibility for the Collaborations team P&L including sales, margin and expense reporting
- Creation of annual Collaborations financial plan; reconcile the monthly financial performance identifying opportunities and business impacts
- Consistent, effective reporting of data and results for Collaborations team product performance
- Hold all team members accountable to drive results by being available, removing barriers and obstacles, facilitating change, and providing coaching/feedback related to performance
- Identify gaps in the product development systems, and where necessary, develop processes and infrastructure to mitigate gaps
And here are the skills and experience you'll need to be successful:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Design, Merchandising or Business; advanced degree preferred.
- Proven track record including 7-10 years of Design leadership experience, and 4 - 6 years of Program Management experience; emphasis on consumer electronics preferred
- Creative, data-driven problem solver with a knack for juggling multiple projects
- A solid understanding of design language structure and abstractions of design
- Creativity and knowledge in all areas of product management including the ability to conceptualize, develop and implement innovative product development programs
- Strong leader with the vision and motivation to elevate the function and organization
- Strong collaborator and inclusive partner with internal business and technical partners as well as external stakeholders and customers
- Visionary for product concepts, next trend technology, and competitive market features.
- Possesses an ability to thrive in a production culture and push the limits of an agile development process, while maintaining a high performance cohesive team
- Has a customer-driven mindset and strong appetite for product excellence and drive for outcomes
This is a full-time on-site position at our San Francisco office.
Who we are:
Massdrop is community-driven commerce. We design products with input from our members and give them a place to connect, learn, and shop with people who share their interests.