MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs.
MaRS supports promising high-growth companies to scale their businesses globally, while tackling key societal challenges in areas such as Health, Cleantech, Finance, Transportation, AI, and others. In addition to helping start-ups launch, grow and scale, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, commercialization of discoveries, and driving ideas to impact.
About the Position
The Junior Accountant supports the corporate Finance team in generating timely and accurate internal reporting as well as all other internal and external reporting through strong attention to detail. They also support internal decision making through thoughtful and detailed analysis of actual results and assisting in the preparation of guiding budgets and forecasts.
The successful candidate will be detail-oriented and proactive, with proficient knowledge of accounting and business principles, and intermediate knowledge of MS Excel. This individual is eager to learn, has strong customer-service skills and adapts well to change.
- Prepare monthly reporting including month-end entries with proper supporting schedules, accruals, general ledger accounts and bank reconciliations, HST returns.
- Update and review monthly business lead financial reports ensuring 100% accuracy to the GL and troubleshooting as needed.
- Reconcile payroll-related costs, ensuring that government reporting records are accurate and timely. Support payroll-related accounting enquiries
- Provide support for the annual audit through preparation of schedules and supporting documentation by deadlines and with an attention to detail.
- Meeting routinely with major stakeholders, both internally and externally to ensure reporting is aligned to end-user needs
- Support in the generation of cash flow projections and analysis
- Assist team in the preparation of monthly/yearly closings
- Prepare and submit routine reports
- Support to team in annual budget plan
- Provide ad-hoc reporting where needed
- Bachelor degree or similar, in business admin, commerce, or similar field
- Experience working in an office environment
- Experience working in NPO accounting an asset
- intermediate excel skills
- Understanding of accounting standards
- Experience with Oracle NetSuite an asset
- Good communication and analytical skills
Applications close at 11:59pm EST on October 22, 2021.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada and reside in Ontario.
We are a purpose-driven organization on a mission to make the world a better place through inclusive innovation. This commitment to inclusion, equity and diversity are core to who we are and what we believe and, as such, encourage applications from members of diverse identity groups, including those who have been historically excluded and marginalized. You are welcome at MaRS.
We want you to be as successful throughout our recruitment process as possible. Please get in touch with us if there’s anything we can do to make your experience more accessible and inclusive, including accommodations for differing (dis)abilities.