MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs.
MaRS supports promising high-growth companies to scale their businesses globally, while tackling key societal challenges in areas such as Health, Cleantech, Finance, Transportation, AI, and others. In addition to helping start-ups launch, grow and scale, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, commercialization of discoveries, and driving ideas to impact.
About Opportunity for All Youth (O4AY)
Opportunity for All Youth (O4AY) is Canada’s only employer-led youth hiring coalition that helps young people who face barriers find meaningful jobs and build skills, experience and confidence. Our goal is to change the youth employment system in Canada so that it works better for everyone, from young job seekers and the community services organizations who support them, to the businesses who hire and invest in them.
Opportunity for All Youth is based at MaRS Discovery District, North America’s largest urban innovation hub. MaRS' purpose is to help innovators change the world for the benefit of all. We're part of the MaRS system change portfolio focusing on driving better youth futures. The MaRS community fosters cross-disciplinary collaboration to drive breakthrough discoveries and new solutions to be adopted in Canada and beyond, growing our economy and delivering societal impact at scale.
About the Position
This role is responsible for the software engineering aspects of defining and delivering the Opportunity for All Youth (O4AY) digital experience.
This role works hand-in-hand with other software engineers, product management, user experience designers, and O4AY business team members to create future-proof software applications and digital products based on O4AY requirements, product plans, and industry best practices. This role is the focal point ultimately responsible for the software engineering aspects of the O4AY product.
This role will also contribute to defining and promoting Software Engineering best practices across MaRS, providing capability leadership and coaching in one or more areas of software and/or engineering techniques.
Planning (Software Engineering Design)
- Co-develop user stories and refine requirements with product managers, designers, business team and other engineers.
- As necessary, coach product team members on how to create high quality development-ready stories that best achieve the team’s goals.
- Determine feasibility of proposed solutions by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, existing environment, and proposed solutions.
- Help product management prioritize and sequence stories for development, providing development estimates and other inputs as needed.
- Help business team members understand technical constraints and possibilities, and explore creative alternatives for achieving business goals.
- Collaborate with other engineers to produce and evolve software architecture that is fit for purpose.
- Write clean, efficient, secure, maintainable, and testable code.
- Conform to team coding conventions, and help the team evolve better coding conventions.
- Contribute to all areas of software products, building competency over time as needed in the different technologies within the software stack.
- Draw on your front-end experience to foster best practices.
- Document solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- Test your work using a combination of manual and automated approaches, biased towards automation.
- Work with and help other engineers to achieve Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment for the products you contribute to.
- Provide tactful, helpful feedback, and gracefully request and receive feedback from others (e.g. reviews of your own work).
- Support production software by implementing improvements as needed, and by ensuring that software is secure, available, maintainable and performant.
- Improve operations by monitoring production software alerts, conducting systems analysis, and recommending changes in policies, procedures, and system architecture.
Elevate Software Engineering skills and best practices across MaRS
- Participate in the definition and evolution of the Software Engineering job discipline and related best practices across MaRS
- Update your own job knowledge by studying state-of-the-art development tools, programming techniques, and computing equipment, participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.
- Support and develop other software engineers by providing advice, coaching and educational opportunities.
- Assist in establishing and promoting engineering guidelines, best practices and standards.
- Assist in establishing and promoting UX design guidelines, best practices and standards.
How You Innovate
This role provides a unique opportunity for a product leader to help further Opportunity for All Youth’s mission by enabling the team to scale with software and people, as opposed to scaling solely with people. By innovating with software, the Sr. Software Engineer can greatly amplify the impact of the team.
- Undergraduate university degree or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer in the technology industry, with demonstrated progression of responsibilities
- Proven record of successfully designing, building and operating business or consumer software products, internal tools, and/or creative platforms
- Experience leading cross-functional teams through influential leadership
- Deep understanding of software development process, quality assurance, system architecture, and software operations
- Deep understanding of modern web application technologies
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Confidence talking directly with co-workers and leading projects by working autonomously and presenting high level findings & direction
- Familiarity with AWS application services
- Ability to inspire, motivate, and lead engineers, designers, data scientists and others
- Learn-fast mindset
- A desire to build great products and learn leading edge technologies
Applications will close at 11:59pm EST on October 22, 2021.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada and reside in Ontario.
We are a purpose-driven organization on a mission to make the world a better place through inclusive innovation. This commitment to inclusion, equity and diversity are core to who we are and what we believe and, as such, encourage applications from members of diverse identity groups, including those who have been historically excluded and marginalized. You are welcome at MaRS.
We want you to be as successful throughout our recruitment process as possible. Please get in touch with us if there’s anything we can do to make your experience more accessible and inclusive, including accommodations for differing (dis)abilities.