MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs.
MaRS supports promising high-growth companies to scale their businesses globally, while tackling key societal challenges in areas such as Health, Cleantech, Finance, Transportation, AI, and others. In addition to helping start-ups launch, grow and scale, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, commercialization of discoveries, and driving ideas to impact.
About the Position
We are looking for a Legal Coordinator to join our in-house legal team to manage the day-to-day coordination and administration of broad legal services in support of the entire organization. This is a hands-on role and integral to maintaining a high level of service and quality to MaRS’s various business units.
- Support and collaborate with the MaRS legal team composed of the General Counsel and Legal Counsel, including communications and meeting logistics. Manage General Counsel’s calendar and high volume of emails
- Manage legal intake process to prioritize and track requests from MaRS business units, and identify and implement efficiencies and improvements in the intake process and general legal processes
- Prepare, draft and edit various legal documents including contracts, correspondence, summaries, presentations, etc.
- Administer procurement matters including reviewing requests and documenting approvals
- Coordinate execution, tracking and filing of legal documents
- Provide project management for strategic legal initiatives, presentations, and legal projects
- Fulfil corporate compliance, filing and reporting obligations and support on various governance matters
- Proactively identify needs for new or enhanced processes and develop solutions in collaboration with MaRS business units
- Research, as required
You have 4+ years of relevant experience, preferably with experience supporting an in-house or private practice legal team. You have a proven ability to read and interpret contracts with a solid understanding of legal terminology and its practical implications. Building strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders is important to you and you enjoy looking for opportunities to improve and streamline processes, resources, and operations. You value collaboration, are ready to “roll up your sleeves” and always look for ways to contribute.
In addition, you possess the following qualifications and key competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Law Clerk certification is an asset
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Service-minded and self-motivated personality with clear communication skills
- The ability to thrive in a high-pressure, time-sensitive, entrepreneurial environment
- Demonstrated experience working with a variety of commercial contracts and documents is preferred
- Experience regarding legal compliance or filing matters is preferred
- Experience in the following areas of practice is an asset: Intellectual Property, Information Technology, Technology, Data, Privacy, CASL, contests/submission processes
- Proficiency with document software and tools such as Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft PowerPoint, etc.
The expected application closing date for this position is August 2nd, 2021.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada and reside in Ontario.
We are a purpose-driven organization on a mission to make the world a better place through inclusive innovation. This commitment to inclusion, equity and diversity are core to who we are and what we believe and, as such, encourage applications from members of diverse identity groups, including those who have been historically excluded and marginalized. You are welcome at MaRS.
We want you to be as successful throughout our recruitment process as possible. Please get in touch with us if there’s anything we can do to make your experience more accessible and inclusive, including accommodations for differing (dis)abilities.