MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs.
MaRS supports promising high-growth companies to scale their businesses globally, while tackling key societal challenges in areas such as Health, Cleantech, Finance, Transportation, AI, and others. In addition to helping start-ups launch, grow and scale, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, commercialization of discoveries, and driving ideas to impact.
About your role
In this hands-on management role supporting leadership, reporting to the Chief of Staff in the Office of the CEO, you will lead Corporate Development, the central planning and operations function at MaRS. You will over see and facilitate the annual process, organizational reporting, including data analytics and will play an active role in establishing operational foundations to effectively enable business units in the execution of activities to meet the organization's strategic objectives and commitments. The role aims to achieve operational efficiency, effectiveness and scale.
- Your primary responsibilities will be to build creative solutions and processes that shape the operational processes and resources that help scale MaRS’s innovation capacity and impact
- You will lead in supporting the integration and interface with the Office of the CEO and implement initiatives that allow for accurate and timely flow of information to enable the operational rhythm of operations.
- Building innovative solutions to help transform operations across the organizatio
Strategy & Executive Team Support
- Working with internal and external facilitators, support the MaRS Senior Executive Team and Leadership Council through data gathering, analysis and materials preparation, and documenting updates to the corporate strategy.
- Lead MaRS’s Management system, corporate scorecard and key initiative rosters; includes leading updates to these frameworks and driving the quarterly reporting and review (w/ assistance from the Associate, Operations).
- Support the Senior Executive Team and Leadership Council by identifying the linkages between the strategic plan and day-to-day operations to support decision making.
- Support in the development and facilitation of the Strategic planning process and governance processes to managing decision-making, issues management and escalation.
- Working with the Corporate Development associate and under direction of the Director, People Experience & Strategy , project manage and produce the annual operating plan. This includes aggregating working plans from each of the business unit and team leads, and working closely with the finance team on the parallel annual budget process. It also includes translating the strategic plan into operational considerations and framing to deliver desired impact and outcomes.
- Develop, maintain and manage the MaRS Common Costing Model and business case methodology and templates. On a forward looking basis, this should include ensuring proposals are fully costed and internal revenue transfers can be applied and allocated.
- Partner with Business Development and other leaders to help refine business development pipeline processes and build stronger linkages to similar processes in our Financial Operations.
- Work with finance, delivery and business development teams to build quarterly business performance reviews used to evaluate performance and support leadership decision making.
- Play a key role in the business planning function for MaRS, including operating analysis, forecasting and modelling, project management, presentations, diligence and risk assessment.
- Work with the COO, Finance, IT, Legal, People & Culture and shared services generally to identify issues and problem solve around resource allocation and prioritization decisions.
Execution and Support of Key Initiatives and Change Management Projects
- Achieve operational excellence and efficiency by partnering with Finance and Business Development to understand key drivers of revenue and expense and implementing/refining cross-functional processes and resources to optimize productivity.
- Analyze proposed strategic initiatives and determine the investments needed. Support or advise on strategic proposals and projects for individual business units that have the potential to align and contribute to MaRS’ goals.
- Partner with Program Operations - Venture Services and Partner Solutions Group - to ensure integrated operations, reporting and cross-functional alignment
- Act as an advisor/internal consultant to business units on aligning various areas of work and projects to MaRS strategy and operating constraints.
- Working with leaders, identify Key Performance Indicators to measure and evaluate organizational performance, including Scorecards and Key Initiatives. Prepare performance updates for the board and the executive team.
- Support Finance and Marketing and Communications in finalizing materials for quarterly management reporting for the Board, including Management Discussion and Analysis, CEO Letter and Risk Management Register.
- Support the production of presentations materials for the CEO and the Office of the CEO.
- Work with Finance and IT to integrate and automate all financial and operational reporting, including future dashboard reporting.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- University degree in business or related area or equivalent work experience
- 7-10 years’ work experience
- MBA or equivalent work experience is an asset
- An understanding of the venture ecosystem or experience working with ventures
- Ability to develop and interpret strategy and convert strategic directives into specific action plans to achieve objectives
- Proven ability to build influence and trust across all levels of the organization, including senior leaders
- Experience in scaling organization’s operations
- High integrity, discretion and transparency
- Multi-disciplinary knowledge and solid understanding of general business, external business and economic factors which can affect the organization
- Exceptional ability to build influence and internal relationships
- Experience with process evaluation and improvement
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate discussions with senior management
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Proficiency with Excel and Powerpoint
What’s it like to work at MaRS?
On top of working for a mission-driven organization with a passionate, smart and engaged team, you can expect to enjoy some of these perks:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, Trivia Nights, team building outings, and summer golf day
- Joining the MaRS softball team and knocking it out of the park
- Indoor bike parking and showers
- Discounted gym membership
You’ll be working at the MaRS Centre – a vibrant, architecturally inspiring complex connected to the subway. In early 2014, MaRS increased its innovation footprint to 1.5 million square feet with the opening of its 20-storey West Tower, making it one of the world’s largest innovation hubs.
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS, check out our profile on B Meaningful.
- Open-concept office environment
- Typical operating business hours of 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday
MaRS Discovery District is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including aboriginal persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women.
Application submissions are due on Monday June 28, 2021
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada and reside in Ontario.
We are a purpose-driven organization on a mission to make the world a better place through inclusive innovation. This commitment to inclusion, equity and diversity are core to who we are and what we believe and, as such, encourage applications from members of diverse identity groups, including those who have been historically excluded and marginalized. You are welcome at MaRS.
We want you to be as successful throughout our recruitment process as possible. Please get in touch with us if there’s anything we can do to make your experience more accessible and inclusive, including accommodations for differing (dis)abilities.