MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs. MaRS supports promising young ventures tackling key societal challenges in the Health, Energy & Environment, Work & Learning and Finance & Commerce sectors. In addition to helping startups launch, grow and scale, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, commercialization of discoveries and driving ideas to impact.
About MaRS IT
The MaRS IT provides full IT support to over 250 employees and contractors in the MaRS core business units, as well as network and telephony to dozens of tenants and startup companies who, collectively, connect up to 5,000 wired and wireless devices to the internet through our high-speed network. MaRS IT also has a small, but mighty software engineering team who maintains our data back-end and develops the data pipelines and integrations that feed our business intelligence. The team also develops customer-facing web sites and specialized web applications that support the entrepreneurship ecosystem to digitally deliver the world-class services that support our community of high-growth companies and partners.
About your role
Enough about us, let’s talk about you. As our Python Web Developer, you’ll report to the Engineering Lead and will be working on a number of tools and applications that support the programs designed to help grow and scale the next generation of technology companies in Canada.
You also like working collaboratively in a team because you know that great software comes from teams that work so well together that they can finish each other’s sentences. Oh, and your colleagues at MaRS are doing no less than helping the next generation of startups scale in order to move the needle on the economic success of Canada. If this sounds like your dream job, we can’t wait to hear from you.
Share your credentials, but your relevant experience and knowledge will be just as likely to get our attention. It helps if you have:
- You have knowledge of different database systems like relational databases (postgres, mysql) or document NoSQL databases (Dynamodb, Mongodb)
- You are familiar with full text search solutions such as Solr or Elasticsearch
- Agile experience; you will participate in defining our products and building them.
- Proficient with Git, and Linux terminals.
- Nice to have experience in Linux systems administration or at least the core concepts like permissions.
- Critical thinker and good problem-solver
- Have a strong understanding of W3C web design / coding standards.
- Proven communication and teamwork skills.
- Experience working with cloud environments such as AWS and are able to work with various services within it
- Able to program in a cloud native environment such as serverless computing and http based serverless databases.
- Undergraduate Degree or Technical Certificate, or equivalent experience.
- Inspire a positive work environment and help champion quality, innovation, teamwork, and service to the business.
- Embrace change, learn voraciously, stretch your thinking, share your knowledge and educate others.
- Communicate and collaborate with both technical and non-technical professionals.
- Cultivate winning relationships by building trust with business and technology partners.
- Experience with AWS CloudFormation, building AppSync resolvers with Apache Velocity.
- Experience with cloud systems, microservices, website security and traffic load management
- Familiarity with Asana, GitHub and Slack
- Have an "I don't know everything, but I can learn anything" and "I have no idea how I'll do it, but I'm excited to figure it out" attitude.
- Ability to find solutions on your own (major Googling mojo required).
- Experience working in a not-for-profit.
- IT Engineering team to build great software
- Internal product manager, project managers, and business analysts to collaborate on solutions.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada and must currently be residing in Ontario.
MaRS Discovery District is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including aboriginal persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.