MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs. MaRS supports promising young ventures tackling key societal challenges in the Health, Cleantech, Enterprise Software, and Fintech sectors. In addition to helping startups launch, grow and scale, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, commercialization of discoveries, and driving ideas to impact.
About MaRS IT
MaRS IT provides full IT support to our 250+ employees as well network connectivity and telephony to dozens of startup companies who, collectively, connect over 5,000 wired and wireless devices through our high-speed, fully redundant, multi-homed network. Our fast -growing software engineering team is a centre of excellence within MaRS.
About the role
Reporting to the Engineering Lead you will be developing a responsive web-based (Svelte/React/Vue.js) multi-sided application to manage events planning, scheduling, signups, registrations, check-ins, interviewing process, calendars, reports, and geo-location based SMS notifications for one of our latest initiatives. You’ll be involved in every aspect of the project, working with members of the engineering and business teams.
You’re a seasoned developer who is passionate about building quality software on highly visible projects that support mission critical use cases. You have a broad technical base using front-end libraries/frameworks such as Svelte, React, Vue invoking GraphQL and REST Node.js based APIs. You’re experienced with working in a continuous delivery environment. Though grounded in your core tech stack, you’re also curious and like to stay on top of emerging software trends. You love building software and are proud to own the product you’ve build over its lifetime.
Above all of this you’re a team player, putting “we” before “me” because you know that lone wolves – however skilled they might be – have no place in place like MaRS. You collaborate closely with your team and are able to take initiative without close supervision.
What it’s like to work at MaRS
MaRS Centre is a vibrant, architecturally inspiring innovation hub with 1.5 million square feet of laboratory, collaboration, and office space connected directly to the Queens Parks subway stop at College and University. MaRS employees enjoy many perks such as:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS.
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, team building outings, and summer golf day.
- The MaRS softball team, yoga at noon, and discounted gym membership
- Indoor bike parking and showers
Our mission-driven organization is filled with passionate, smart people who are finding and turning the levers that will move the economic needle of Canada’s technology-based future.
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS and why you might want to be a part of something bigger than yourself, check out our profile on B Meaningful.
Share your credentials, but your relevant experience and knowledge will be just as likely to get our attention. It helps if you have:
- Undergraduate Degree or Technical Certificate, or equivalent experience.
- Agile experience; you will participate in defining our products and building them.
- Proficient with Git and Terminal use.
- Critical thinker and good problem-solver
- Have a strong understanding of W3C web design / coding standards.
- Proven communication and teamwork skills.
- Inspire a positive work environment and help champion quality, innovation, teamwork, and service to the business.
- Embrace change, learn voraciously, stretch your thinking, share your knowledge and educate others.
- Communicate and collaborate with both technical and non-technical professionals.
- Cultivate winning relationships by building trust with business and technology partners.
- Experience in website security and traffic load management
- Experience with AWS services.
- Familiarity with Asana, GitHub and Slack
- Have an "I don't know everything, but I can learn anything" attitude.
- Ability to find solutions on your own (major Googling mojo required).
- Experience working in a not-for-profit.
- IT software engineering team
- Business team, domain experts, product manager
- Software system architects and advisors
- Software development community for continuous learning
General office environment with operating business hours of 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday.