MaRS Discovery District in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs. MaRS supports promising ventures tackling key societal challenges in the Health, Cleantech, Enterprise and Fintech sectors. In addition to helping startups launch, grow and scale their businesses, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, system transformation to increase innovation adoption, and driving ideas to positive impact.
About MaRS Data Catalyst
MaRS Data Catalyst is the data analytics and product team for MaRS Discovery District. We lead collaborative data sharing partnerships, develop cutting-edge digital products, and conduct deep analysis to educate Canadians, enable evidence-based decision making, and support better policy development. We are working towards the vision of a sustainable future by focusing on areas of inclusive innovation, regional success, and the climate change.
About MaRS Solutions Lab
MaRS Solutions Lab is the social innovation lab for MaRS Discovery District. As a social innovation lab, MaRS Solutions Lab creates inclusive spaces for society to reimagine itself and generate the breakthrough innovations that will bring these new imaginaries to life. We help to understand these challenges from different perspectives, and we convene stakeholders from across society to develop, prototype and scale new solutions. We also help build capacity for systems change across Canada, providing advice and capacity building to governments, foundations and other organizations that want to work out how to create change for a better future together.
About Your Role
As the Coordinator for both MaRS Data Catalyst and MaRS Solutions Lab, you will play a key role in helping to ensure both teams are functioning smoothly from an operational perspective. You will handle a high volume of administrative and operational activities including the coordination of meetings and busy calendars for our team and clients. You’ll help plan and coordinate the logistics of events and ensure a smooth experience with our clients, stakeholders, and partners. You’ll be working closely with our finance team to reconcile expenses and invoices and keep track of our projects and ensure accurate reporting is captured. You will also be our ‘scrum master’ for team meetings, making sure we keep on track with our tasks and activities. Finally, you will work to develop, document, and enforce team processes that support knowledge management and efficient use of time.
What You’ll be Doing
- Administrative and operations support for the team on contracts, vendors, office services and supplies, facilities, partners and contacts, digital filing, team meetings and minutes, etc.
- Project administration and coordination including resource, time and expense tracking; tasks and deliverables tracking; project backlog tracking; and invoicing and finance reporting
- Liaising with external partners to support project delivery and business development staff with the organization of communications, deliverable submissions, and information tracking
- Coordination and report drafting for funders and key stakeholders, our Advisory Committee, the MaRS board, executives and management; and drafting public reports
- Event planning and delivery of project events and workshops
- Update the corporate Salesforce.com database to ensure information is accurate and up-to-date
- Maintain organization and smooth workflow between internal and external stakeholders by using relevant task management software and communication tools (Asana, Harvest, Outlook, etc.)
- 2-3 years of work experience in an office administration role; client-facing experience preferred
- Familiarity with office organization and optimization techniques
- High degree of organization, multi-tasking and time management capability
- Ability to work independently and in teams in a dynamic and flexible environment
- Excellent written and verbal communications in English; fluency in another language would be an asset
- Proficiency in MS Office is required; experience with CRM software (Salesforce), project management software (Asana), survey platforms (Survey Gizmo, Survey Monkey, Form Stack), graphics design programs (Adobe Creative Suite), will be an asset.
- Self-motivated, able to work independently or as a team member and committed to achieving and exceeding goals and objectives
What it’s like to work at MaRS
The MaRS Centre is a vibrant, architecturally inspiring innovation hub with 1.5 million square feet of laboratory, collaboration, and office space connected directly to the Queens Park subway stop at College and University. On top of working for a mission-driven organization with a passionate, smart and engaged team, you can expect to enjoy some of these perks:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, team building outings and organization-wide social events
- The MaRS softball team, yoga at noon, and discounted gym membership
- Indoor bike parking and showers
Our purpose-driven organization is filled with passionate, smart people who are finding and turning the levers that will move the social and economic needle of Canada’s technology-based future. We believe that diverse perspectives, experiences, and cultures are critical to foster the inclusive, impactful innovation results Canada needs, and we want our team to reflect this. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS and why you might want to be a part of something bigger than yourself, check out our profile on B Meaningful.
Application Close Date: March 20 2020 9 am