MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs. MaRS supports promising ventures tackling key societal challenges in the Fintech, Cleantech, Enterprise and Health sectors. In addition to helping new ventures start, grow and scale, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, commercialization of Canadian entrepreneurial innovation.
About Momentum Services
MaRS Momentum is a program designed to support the executives of high-growth companies on their way to reaching $100 million in revenue in the next five years. It’s built on the idea that it takes deliberate intent, experience at the executive level, and a global focus to create a Canadian headquartered company. Momentum’s ultimate goal is to create a culture of scaling at Canadian companies, enable a peer community of like-minded individuals, engage the C-suite, and act as an advocate & spokesperson in Ontario and Canada.
About your role
The Associate, Momentum will manage the engagement between MaRS and the companies admitted into the MaRS Momentum. The companies will span across Health, Fintech, Cleantech, Advanced Manufacturing, Transportation and Enterprise sectors and are on track to reach $100 million in annual revenue within 5 years companies. Your work will have the following 2 main components;
- You will engage with the companies’ executive teams, MaRS’ Executives-in-Residence , our Director, Services and a variety of other resources to design and implement a growth plan to meet the company’s growth goals. This will include managing and supporting internal and external teams, venture data management and progress monitoring. AND
- You will be responsible for aspects of Momentum venture portfolio management (onboarding, reporting, portfolio analysis, venture communications, etc). As a key member of the team, you will support diverse strategic projects as needed, and act as an advocate for innovation and MaRS in the community.
The end goal: to scale these world-class Canadian innovations to global market successes, building on our strong history and deep roots in enterprise technology innovation.
This is an opportunity to make a difference – for the firms this role supports – and for the overall success of Canadian Economy. The timing couldn’t be better. Canada’s startup community is maturing and they are ready to take their place on the global stage. Our ventures are ready to challenge the world’s best – and you can be a part of leading the charge.
In deep collaboration with the Momentum Leadership and Executive-in-Residence team core elements of your role will be,
- Be the key day-to-day relationship manager between MaRS and the Venture, in close partnership with the EIR(s) and Momentum leadership team.
- Manage and support the creation of each company’s growth plan.
- Act as a central point of contact for internal and external requests, assessing and directing inquiries as appropriate.
- Update venture portfolio and information as required
- Develop venture portfolio knowledge, managing the flow of information to and within MaRS Scale.
- Serve as the primary day-to-day connection point between the team and the various departments at MaRS as appropriate, and particularly with the relevant EIR(s)
- Develop and maintain relationships within a community of:
- Company executives
- Internal MaRS Staff
- Business, community and industry associations
- Members of other innovation centres, etc.
- Support Momentum Community activity
- Manage select Momentum operations:
- Responsible for monthly, quarterly and annual reporting on ventures activities
- Manage venture assessment processes (initial intake, ongoing evaluation, offboarding, etc).
- MaRS Discovery District staff at all levels, particularly other members of Scale team, MaRS Venture Services, Corporate Partners, and Capital services
- Scale Stage Startup Executives
- Executive Business community
- Industry associations
- Passion for entrepreneurship, building businesses and helping Ventures in their success is a must!
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree and 2-3 years of diverse relevant work experience
- Knowledge of key challenges/opportunities for scale stage companies an asset
- Experience with Ventures or high-paced work environments an asset
- Experience with client-facing roles
- Understanding of the application of key technologies including Blockchain, AI, Machine Learning, Advanced analytics, etc an asset
- Professionalism with high-level of personal integrity
- Strong sense of personal accountability and commitment to helping Ventures achieve their goals
- Self-motivated – able to work independently or as a team member
- Confident presence when speaking to large groups
- Leadership skills – able to influence colleagues and stakeholders to achieve results
- Critical thinking and analytical approach, with the ability to understand and synthesize information to create clear and compelling presentations
- Superior project coordination and organizational skills
- Excellent planning, time management, and multi-tasking skills – able to manage details and organize processes without losing sight of the big picture
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills (oral, written, and presentation)
- People management skills in matrix environment
- Strong capabilities in MS PowerPoint and Excel; experience with Salesforce.com/CRM and social media tools an asset
Key Attributes for Success:
- Commitment to be constantly learning
- Good relationship management skills ( collaborator and convener)
- Strong communications skills – oral, written, and presentation skills
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Ability to multi-task, comfortable working in a fast-paced, high energy environment
- Maturity and high level of personal integrity
- Highly developed organizational and process management skills
- Consummate professional, able to represent the organization in all circumstances
- Self-motivated - able to work independently or as a team member
- Proven driver of change in a positive way
- Personal accountability and commitment to achieving and exceeding goals and objectives
What it's like to work at MaRS
MaRS is a vibrant, architecturally inspiring innovation hub with 1.5 million square feet of laboratory, collaboration, and office space connected directly to the Queen’s Park subway stop at College and University. MaRS employees enjoy many perks such as:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, team building outings, summer golf day, and more
- The MaRS softball team, yoga at noon, and discounted gym memberships
- Indoor bike parking and showers
Our mission-driven organization is filled with passionate, smart people who are finding and turning the levers that will move the economic needle of Canada’s technology-based future.
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS and why you might want to be a part of something bigger than yourself, check out our profile on B Meaningful.