MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is North America’s largest urban innovation hub. Our purpose is to help innovators change the world. MaRS supports promising ventures tackling key challenges in the health, cleantech, fintech and enterprise sectors as they start, grow and scale. In addition, the MaRS community fosters cross-disciplinary collaboration to drive breakthrough discoveries and new solutions to be adopted in Canada and beyond, growing our economy and delivering societal impact at scale.
About MaRS Business Technology Solutions
MaRS Business Technology Solutions (BTS) provides full IT support to over 230 employees and contractors in the MaRS core business units, as well as network and telephony to dozens of startup companies who, collectively, connect over 5,000 wired and wireless devices to the Internet through our high-speed network. MaRS BTS supports core software platforms and custom software development and looks after our network operations and desktop support. MaRS BTS supports a broad range of business units with discrete lines of business that serve common customers. Salesforce is the single “source of truth” about our customer and is a core platform for everything we do.
About your role
As our Salesforce Administrator, you will report to the Senior Manager, Business Information Systems. You will be responsible for the day to day administration of the MaRS Salesforce instance, along with integrations between Salesforce and other SaaS platforms. While overseeing core database administration, you will be point person for system customization and support the Senior Manager, BIS to design and implement data model changes. You will work alongside our Junior Salesforce Administrator to address UI and UX challenges facing staff, and how we can address those alongside our broader data strategy. You will provide supplemental support to our Junior Salesforce Administrator with training and change management projects where necessary. MaRS has recently made the move to Salesforce Lightning, so user adoption and support is a key pillar for our internal Salesforce team. This database admin role is a unique and challenging balance between the technical and human sides of CRM management.
What you’ll be doing
- Provide day to day admin support for Salesforce users, in conjunction with our Junior Salesforce Administrator
- Optimize UI/UX and data quality with automations, workflows and other triggers
- Reconstruct and document changes and customizations
- Ensure that best administrative practices are followed, and that MaRS takes full advantage of what the platform has to offer.
- Produce reports for funders and auditors
- Direct users to relevant reports and dashboards
- Model Salesforce best practices for all users
- Play a key role in the organization’s adoption of Salesforce Lightning and any new integrations or features
- Support your team in change management projects to ensure minimum disruption to SF users
- 4+ years experience as administrator on a Salesforce (Enterprise) instance
- Undergraduate degree or technical certificate, or equivalent experience
- Have worked with Salesforce integrations (AppExchange, via API, or middleware like Workato)
- Excellent diagramming and documentation skills
- Experience developing and delivering training resources
- Engaging and supportive end-user training style
- Proficient in process builder and other admin style workflow tools
- Solid foundation in Salesforce report builder, dashboard creation, and DataLoader
- Extensive experience Salesforce Lightning environment
- Comfortable supporting developers with Salesforce related projects; experience with sandbox environments
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Salesforce certification(s) a bonus
- Experience working in a not-for-profit a plus
- Value relationship development with Salesforce users
- Inspire a positive work environment and help champion quality, innovation, teamwork and service to the business
- Learn voraciously, stretch your thinking, share your knowledge and educate others
- Communicate and collaborate with both technical and non-technical professionals
- Have an "I don't know everything, but I can learn anything" attitude
- All salesforce users, from interns to senior leadership
- Internal IT team for delivery solutions
- 3rd party SaaS vendors
What it’s like to work at MaRS
MaRS Centre is a vibrant, architecturally inspiring innovation hub with 1.5 million square feet of laboratory, collaboration, and office space connected directly to the Queens Parks subway stop at College and University. MaRS employees enjoy many perks such as:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS.
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, team building outings, and summer golf day.
- The MaRS softball team, yoga at noon, and discounted gym membership
- Indoor bike parking and showers
Our mission-driven organization is filled with passionate, smart people who are finding and turning the levers that will move the economic needle of Canada’s technology-based future.
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS and why you might want to be a part of something bigger than yourself, check out our profile on B Meaningful.
- Open-concept office environment
- General office environment with operating business hours of 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
MaRS Discovery District is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including aboriginal persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.