MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs. MaRS supports promising young ventures tackling key societal challenges in the Health, Energy & Environment, Work & Learning and Finance & Commerce sectors. In addition to helping startups launch, grow and scale, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, commercialization of discoveries and driving ideas to impact.
About MaRS IT
The MaRS IT provides full IT support to over 250 employees and contractors in the MaRS core business units, as well as network and telephony to dozens of tenants and startup companies who, collectively, connect up to 5,000 wired and wireless devices to the internet through our high-speed network. We don’t want to just fix the broken things. Our purpose is to help provide the technical solutions that allow our colleagues to thrive, so that our business can thrive.
MaRS IT also has a small, but mighty software engineering team who maintains our data back-end and develops the data pipelines and integrations that feed our business intelligence. The team also develops customer-facing web sites and specialized web applications that support the entrepreneurship ecosystem to digitally deliver the world-class services that support our community of high-growth companies and partners.
About your role
As our Technical Support Specialist, you’ll report to the Manager, Business Technology Solutions,and will be working with the many diverse business units in our 250-person organization to help them get the most out of our many SaaS tools. We’ve got lots of great software tools in our environment – like Salesforce, Box, Asana, Slack, Okta, Formstack, and many others – and we tend to use them in lots of interesting ways. We’re 90% Mac and 10% Windows.
Enough about us, let’s talk about you. You live and breathe the macOS environment but can more than hold your own with Windows. You love teaching people how to use their tools to make their jobs easier. You have a strong set of skills in your sys admin toolbox but know that it takes constant learning to keep up with today’s technologies and trends. And most importantly, you’re a team player knowing that what you can accomplish as a team is so much more than the sum of what you could all do individually.
You love technology and software; it is part of your DNA. The only thing you love more than learning new technologies is finding more efficient ways of using new and existing tools to help your colleagues effectively increase productivity. You completely “get” cybersecurity and know how to lock down systems. You also know that your colleagues are the first line of cybersecurity defence so you educate them at every opportunity. You don’t shy away from custom integrations, and love a good script tweaking. You’re adept at meeting people where they are. In some cases, this means dialling down the tech-speak to talk to them in terms they understand. In other cases, it means upping your game to understand the technical requirements of a power user. You’re great at writing clear, concise documentation so your colleagues can help themselves, but you can also provide one-on-one and group training because you know that not all people learn things the same way. You know that technology is only a means to and end and so you focus your efforts on productivity, not just cool gadgets. Your troubleshooting, technical knowledge and research capabilities are only paralleled by your customer-centric solution delivery. Oh, and your colleagues at MaRS are doing no less than helping the next generation of startups scale in order move the needle on the economic success of Canada. If this sounds like your dream job, we can’t wait to hear from you.
What you’ll be doing
- Act as technical support contact for MaRS Discovery District’s 250+ employees and provide administration and support of its primarily Mac systems.
- Systems Administration of our various SaaS platforms, such as G Suite, Asana, Slack, Box, Okta, Tettra and others.
- Ensure your colleagues have the hardware, software and necessary access to be productive and successful in their roles.
- Work with modern end-point protection tools to support security standards and help educate our users on cybersecurity best practices and end-user preventative measures
- Implement plans and software/operating systems updates to ensure the entire organization and our users are protected from any security vulnerabilities
- Continue to provide on-the-spot training and education to our users to ensure they use our tools as efficiently and effectively as they can while maintaining a secure environment for everyone at MaRS
- Learn the functionality of every software tool in our toolbox.
- Learn how your colleagues work; becoming the expert that your colleagues know they can turn to help them solve their gnarliest problems.
- Build out our solutions portal with awesome documentation that doesn’t just show your colleagues how to use our tools, but how to implement best practices for the way we should work at MaRS.
- Assist in the testing and development of integrations between software tools.
- Always look for better ways to build a mousetrap. i.e., automate repetitive tasks using scripts.
- Developing and delivering training and best practices that help your colleagues with project management, information organization, and productivity.
- Helping your colleagues adhere to security policies and best practices to keep our data and systems safe and secure.
- Occasionally on-call for after-hours support.
- Proactively looking for gaps in technology uptake, finding out why, and getting those gaps filled.
- Liaising with vendors to solve support issues where necessary
Share your credentials, but your relevant experience and knowledge will be just as likely to get our attention. It helps if you have:
- Undergraduate Degree or Technical Certificate, or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of experience supporting a broad range of software for end users at all levels.
- 3+ years of SysAdmin on Apple macOS and Windows devices.
- Advanced knowledge of macOS hardware and software (ACMT an asset) and proven experience with mobile device management (specifically Jamf and Airwatch).
- Experience deploying, configuring and managing laptops, desktops and tablet devices.
- Strong knowledge of cybersecurity in an enterprise environment.
- Working knowledge of Active Directory and Single Sign-on tools such as Okta.
- Familiarity with Apple DEP/Apple Business Manager.
- Knowledge of end-point protection (Sophos), with a strong understanding of network security.
- Experience administering, researching and implementing new SaaS tools i.e., Slack and Asana.
- Strong technical aptitude; demonstrated ability to quickly and thoroughly learn new software.
- Customer-centric attitude; ability to apply technology to solve real business problems by understanding those problems before applying the solution.
- Readiness and motivation to tackle any problem the organization can throw your way.
- Ability to communicate solutions via phone, email and concise documentation
- Excellent diagnostic and problem-solving skills
- Inspire a positive work environment and help champion quality, innovation, teamwork, andservice to the business.
- Embrace change, learn voraciously, stretch your thinking, share your knowledge and educate others.
- Communicate and collaborate with both technical and non-technical professionals.
- Cultivate winning relationships by building trust with business and technology partners.
- Have an "I don't know everything, but I can learn anything" attitude.
- Ability to find solutions on your own (major Googling mojo required).
- Experience working in a not-for-profit.
- Every business user, at every level, in every business unit. Yes, everyone.
- Internal IT team for collaborating on solutions.
- 3rdparty software vendors for support.Working conditions
What’s it like to work at MaRS?
On top of working for a mission-driven organization with a passionate, smart and engaged team, you can expect to enjoy some of these perks:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, Trivia Nights, team building outings, and summer golf day
- Joining the MaRS softball team and knocking it out of the park
- Indoor bike parking and showers
- Discounted gym membership
You’ll be working at the MaRS Centre – a vibrant, architecturally inspiring complex connected to the subway. In early 2014, MaRS increased its innovation footprint to 1.5 million square feet with the opening of its 20-storey West Tower, making it one of the world’s largest innovation hubs.
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS, check out our profile on B Meaningful.
- Open-concept office environment
- Typical operating business hours of 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday with occasional after-hours on-call
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
MaRS Discovery District is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including aboriginal persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.