MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is North America’s largest urban innovation hub. Our purpose is to help innovators change the world. MaRS supports promising ventures tackling key challenges in the health, cleantech, fintech and enterprise sectors as they start, grow and scale. In addition, the MaRS community fosters cross-disciplinary collaboration to drive breakthrough discoveries and new solutions to be adopted in Canada and beyond, growing our economy and delivering societal impact at scale.
As a member of the Partnerships team, you will support program and service delivery for a community of corporate partners. This membership-based community is designed to harnesses the power of the Canadian tech ecosystem to deliver innovation-focused content and experiences for corporate Partners to network, learn and discover the latest breakthroughs disrupting their industry. Reporting to the Director, Corporate Innovation Programs, this role supports the delivery of diverse activities for Corporate Partners, including thought leadership content and events, outreach and communications, workshop organization and program administration. Key activities will include: event planning and logistics, content aggregation and newsletter management, meeting scheduling and stakeholder outreach, and data collection for program metrics.
What you’ll be doing
- Help plan and organize the delivery of our programs and events including booking space, liaising with presenters, organizing marketing, day-of event logistics and collecting event feedback
- Events may be related to corporate innovation, venture showcases, thought leadership, investor events or events in collaboration with a corporate partner
- Contribute to the design, experimentation and implementation of a digital event series
- Coordinate a calendar of events including both MaRS supported and other relevant events that we attend/speak at/support in the community
- Create and manage Eventbrite listings with the assistance of the MaRS Communication team ensuring that marketing is within brand guidelines
- Develop strong working relationships with members of Venture Services, Events and Communications teams
Content and Communications
- Liaise with internal groups to gather relevant materials and proactively aggregate content of potential interest to corporate partners
- Maintain external communications schedule and use Mailchimp to prepare draft content and newsletter layouts in a timely manner
- Collaborate with the Communications team to ensure outbound communications and marketing assets are appropriate, align with the required process and meet brand guidelines
- Maintain contact lists and monitor the engagement metrics
- Conduct trends research, contribute ideas and collaborate in thought leadership deliberations
- Track and process all required budgetary elements of program delivery, including invoices, budget planning, financial approval forms, etc.
- Monitor and document various program metrics, ensuring there is sufficient and timely data available for various reporting requirements
- Assist in reporting on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis of program activity
- Maintain organization and smooth workflow between internal and external stakeholders by using relevant project management software and communication tools (Asana, Harvest, Outlook, etc.)
- Administrative duties to support the Partnerships team as required
You will have:
- University or college degree; communications, marketing or business is an asset
- 0-2 years’ work experience; client-facing experience required
- Experience with event design and execution (e.g. from Student Associations; volunteer experience)
- Experience working with Salesforce, Eventbrite, MailChimp, SurveyMonkey (or similar)
- Familiarity with project coordination software like Asana is an asset
- Proficient in MS Office applications; ability to learn and use software programs
- Highly attentive to details; accurate data entry skills
- Service minded, with the ability to support and meet the needs of multiple stakeholders
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Agile learner – ability to solve problems
- Proactive and collaborative team player who thrives on coordinating and interacting with multiple people and on multiple projects
- Manages shifting priorities while maintaining core program responsibilities
- Strong communication (both written and verbal) skills required
- Strong interest in entrepreneurship and startups
- Ability to take initiative and work independently with minimal supervision while also effectively collaborating with staff and partner institutions
What’s it like to work at MaRS?
On top of working for a mission-driven organization with a passionate, smart and engaged team, you can expect to enjoy some of these perks:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, Trivia Nights, team building outings, and summer golf day
- Joining the MaRS softball team and knocking it out of the park
- Indoor bike parking and showers
- Discounted gym membership
You’ll be working at the MaRS Centre – a vibrant, architecturally inspiring complex connected to the subway. In early 2014, MaRS increased its innovation footprint to 1.5 million square feet with the opening of its 20-storey West Tower, making it one of the world’s largest innovation hubs.
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS, check out our profile on B Meaningful.
- Open-concept office environment
- Typical operating business hours of 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
MaRS Discovery District is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including aboriginal persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.