MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is North America’s largest urban innovation hub. Our purpose is to help innovators change the world. MaRS supports promising ventures tackling key challenges in the health, cleantech, fintech and enterprise sectors as they start, grow and scale. In addition, the MaRS community fosters cross-disciplinary collaboration to drive breakthrough discoveries and new solutions to be adopted in Canada and beyond, growing our economy and delivering societal impact at scale.
Under the direction of the Managing Director, the Coordinator supports the IAF Investment team with respect to general administrative support; participating in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit’s operations, acting as resource person for policies and procedures; coordinating various investee and partner-related events; planning and executing team, investment pitches and committee meetings, assisting in reporting and auditing processes, maintaining records and filing system related to investments; interfacing with other MaRS departments as required and coordinating the Director’s calendars.
Position Responsibilities and Essential Functions
Investment Process [30%]
- Conduct initial screening of applications and assign qualified deals to the appropriate Investment Manager in Salesforce
- Organize investment pitches, which includes sending meeting invites, ensuring that the eligibility checklists have been completed and setting up A/V requirements
- Organize Investment Committee meetings, which includes sending meeting invites to IC members and MEDJCT, compilation and distribution of IC meeting materials, ensuring quorum has been met, arranging catering and A/V requirements and working with the Investment Managers to circulate the minutes in a timely manner
- Facilitate execution of closing documents and post-investment legal documents by acquiring signatures from the appropriate signatories
- Liaise with Dentons (legal counsel) and maintain copies and listing of all original debentures, share and warrant certificates
Data Management [20%]
- Salesforce: manage the IAF pipeline, new applications and leads, and events
- Box: ensure that closing books, legal documents and all investment materials are filed in Box to satisfy audit requirements
- Hockeystick: Onboard investees and new IAF employees on the system, and assist with platform-related requests
- Filing: maintain a hard copy filing system for IAF-related documents
- Assist the Managing Director in preparing supplemental documentation for the quarterly and semi-annual reports;
- Monitor the HTX portfolio and ensure that loan recipients adhere to the reporting requirements: timely submission of reports and repayments
- Compile IAF and investee documentation for the external and government audits
IAF Administration [40%]
- Calendar management, travel and conference arrangements, and acting as filter for telephone calls and in-person meetings;
- Monitor and maintain the IT needs of the team: coordinating required support and assistance, including organizing facilities and equipment for new employees, ensuring that they are appropriately on-boarded
- Compile invoices and assist the team with expense reports, checking accuracy and adherence to fund and finance policy guidelines.
Maintain the IAF website including updating team bios, portfolio companies and IC members
- Liaise with Real Estate and Security on office space-related requests (access cards, furniture, moves, etc.)
- Coordinate and oversee the day-to-day management of supplies, equipment and facilities to include maintenance, inventory management, logistics, and related activities
- Assist in organizing the annual Investment Community appreciation event and IAF strategy sessions
- Assist in managing and maintaining social media feeds
- Collaborate with the Finance department to ensure timely submission and processing of invoices, expense reports and that auditing requirements are met
- Collaborate with MaRSIT to solve IT-related issues
- Collaborate with HR on the on-boarding process of new team members, benefits-related inquiries and performance review process
- Collaborate with internal Management Committee members to ensure that they receive meeting invites and investment materials prior to Investment Committee meetings
- Liaise with Real Estate and Security on office space-related requests
- Collaborate with Executive Assistant to CEO to ensure that expense forms, out-of-province requests and hospitality/event budgets are approved
- IAF Applicants: Answer inquiries and provide general information on the IAF
- Dentons LLP: Collaborate with Dentons (legal counsel) to ensure that closing documents are executed on a timely basis and follow up on closing books
- Hockeystick: Collaborate with provider to onboard investees on the system and other platform-related requests
- Vendors: Ensure timely processing of invoices
- Investment Committee members (voluntary members consisting of VCs and Angels): Collaborate with members for IC meetings, attendance and quorum, and distribution of investment materials
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in business or equivalent, and 2-5 years of relevant business experience
- Experience in outward facing roles an advantage
- Familiarity with investment or loan transaction documents an advantage
- Strong capabilities in MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel, Squarespace and other business software tools
- Highly developed analytical and interpretive skills, conceptual thinker, able to solve complex problems
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Superior interpersonal skills and customer focus
- Ability to multi-task, comfortable working in a fast-paced, high energy environment with ability to work extended hours if required
- Highly developed organizational and trouble-shooting skills
- Self-motivated - able to work independently or as a team member
- Personal accountability and commitment to achieving and exceeding goals and objectives
What’s it like to work at MaRS?
On top of working for a mission-driven organization with a passionate, smart and engaged team, you can expect to enjoy some of these perks:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, Trivia Nights, team building outings, and summer golf day
- Joining the MaRS softball team and knocking it out of the park
- Indoor bike parking and showers
- Discounted gym membership
You’ll be working at the MaRS Centre – a vibrant, architecturally inspiring complex connected to the subway. In early 2014, MaRS increased its innovation footprint to 1.5 million square feet with the opening of its 20-storey West Tower, making it one of the world’s largest innovation hubs.
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS, check out our profile on B Meaningful.
- Open-concept office environment
- Typical operating business hours of 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
MaRS Discovery District is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including aboriginal persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.