Toronto's MaRS Discovery District is one of the world's largest urban innovation centres, cultivating high-impact ventures and equipping innovators to drive economic and social prosperity in Canada. MaRS supports entrepreneurs in the sectors of media and technology, cleantech and healthcare by providing them with advice, education and market research, and connecting them to talent, customers and capital. An independent registered charity, MaRS also works with private and public sector partners to create solutions that open market access for ventures and generate social impact.
A growing number of governments, organizations and individuals are exploring new business models to tackle social challenges. They are turning to the MaRS Centre for Impact Investing to help bring ideas to life.
As a result, new opportunities to utilize analytical, financial and consulting skills are opening up in this emerging field.
An opportunity to be part of a globally recognized team
From persistent poverty to climate change, we face entrenched social and environmental problems. Fortunately, a growing number of charities, non-profits and for-profit companies are building business models to tackle these problems. They are turning to investors for the financing to launch and grow innovative new initiatives.
As a result, investment opportunities are emerging to offer investors positive financial returns in addition to social and environmental impacts. The MaRS Centre for Impact Investing is looking to attract a leader that wants to make their mark in this exciting new field.
The Centre for Impact Investing is a leading national intermediary focused on advancing new models of impact investing in Canada. The Centre seeks to foster the effective application of social finance and build awareness by sharing knowledge and research through various platforms.
As the field of social finance continues to grow, so too does our team. The MaRS Centre for Impact Investing is currently searching for a variety of creative and progressively-minded professionals with an inclination towards new model of capitalism.
About this Opportunity:
The Associate, Capital Advisory will work across Education and Advisory mandates with a focus on client-centered projects. The project will be diverse and could range from analyzing new investment opportunities to designing and structuring new investment products.
The Canadian government just recently Canada released its new Social Innovation and Social Finance Strategy and subsequently announced an $800M+ commitment for national initiatives and $300M+ internationally, signalling an immediate opportunity. We are looking for bright minds to contribute to our leading effort.
You are a young professional looking to develop expertise in the impact investment field by joining our small, entrepreneurial team. You have the following attributes and qualifications:
- 2-4 years of experience in a professional services field (e.g., consulting, finance, law, etc.)
- A degree at a reputable academic institution
- An interest in finding new solutions to influence change in social issues (e.g., homelessness, chronic disease, unemployment, at-risk youth, etc.)
- Strong financial acumen (e.g., financial analysis and modeling, budgeting, cost accounting)
- Exceptional verbal and written communications
- Intellectual curiosity; results-oriented; determined and hard-working
- A desire to learn and grow in this new field
- Leadership characteristics
The Associate is responsible for the following activities:
- Support advisory mandates that provide value to clients. Some of the activities may include:
- Developing conceptual and financial models of new investment opportunities
- Analyzing information to evaluate investment opportunities for clients
- Evaluating primary research and data on specific interventions to determine efficacy and scale potential
- Managing work processes, developing presentations and/or written deliverables on client files
- Actively contributing in team and client meetings
- Delivering education and training for impact investing stakeholders in Canada
- Conducting research and helping secure new business opportunities
- Staying current with national and global developments in areas of impact investment
- Developing proposals for new opportunities
This position is based at the MaRS Discovery District in Toronto, Ontario Canada. Although most of the work will be based in Toronto, there may be travel based on the location of clients.
This is a full-time, salaried position. Compensation will be competitive within the field of impact investment and be commensurate with experience. The Associate reports to the Manager and is supported by other Centre and MaRS colleagues.
What it's like to work at MaRS
MaRS is a vibrant, architecturally inspiring innovation hub with 1.5 million square feet of laboratory, collaboration, and office space connected directly to the Queen’s Park subway stop at College and University. MaRS employees enjoy many perks such as:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, team building outings, summer golf day, and more
- The MaRS softball team, yoga at noon, and discounted gym memberships
- Indoor bike parking and showers
Our mission-driven organization is filled with passionate, smart people who are finding and turning the levers that will move the economic needle of Canada’s technology-based future.
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS and why you might want to be a part of something bigger than yourself, check out our profile on B Meaningful.
Open-concept office environment with operating business hours of 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
Some evening events support may be occasionally required
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
MaRS Discovery District is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including aboriginal persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.
Please note that we will be reviewing candidates on a rolling basis.
Applications are due by 5:00 PM EST, Sunday June 30th, 2019.