MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs. MaRS supports promising young ventures tackling key societal challenges in the Health, Cleantech, Fintech and Enterprise sectors. In addition to helping startups launch, grow and scale, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, commercialization of discoveries and driving ideas to impact.
About this role:
The HR Business Partner role is both a strategic and tactical role that provides full Human Resources consulting support to leaders and their teams. This role will partner with business multiple clients in the areas of recruitment, employee relations, workforce planning, performance development, and compensation and will support HR program development. MaRSians are passionate, smart, ambitious, and driven by our bold mission to drive societal and economic impact through innovation. It is a dynamic environment with opportunity to continuously learn about the innovation ecosystem.
Who we are looking for:
You are passionate about your work and a curious learner. You have a strong generalist background supporting and advising senior leaders on a variety of HR- related issues. Ideally you will also have had training or experience in one or more of the following areas: recruitment, employer branding, and candidate experience; employee relations; or compensation management.
You are highly adaptable, curious team player, and thrive in a high volume and fast paced environment. You are comfortable interfacing with all levels of the organization. You have a collaborative working style, and are keen to both identify and provide solutions to challenges. You have good analytical skills to interpret data and identify insights.
Position Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with internal stakeholders and external resources
- Provide guidance and advice on day-to-day HR related issues including, recruitment, succession planning, employee development, employee relations, escalating as required.
- Plan and participate in meetings to solicit input/feedback on existing programs, policies, processes, or in the development of new ones.
HR processes and projects with some program management:
- Develop plans and lead continuous development and enhancement of HR policies and practices including timelines, implementation and/or change management strategies, and associated communications to support various HR projects and process improvements including recruiting, onboarding, and orientation processes. Continuously assess and analyze issues, metrics, identify gaps, conduct research and analysis on best practices and emerging HR trends
- Liase with VP Talent and the senior team to develop plans and schedules for the launch and on-going delivery of programs and projects, identify and resolve issues, influence change
- Manage recruitment, selection, and onboarding for MaRS employees, including participating in interviews, reference checks, and extending offers
- Contribute content to the HR intranet including writing blogs, guides, processes, and employee resources
- University Degree, or equivalent experience
- CHRP/CHRL designation or in process preferred
- 5-8 years HR experience with a minimum of 3 years in a Generalist role/Business Partner
- Strong analytic capability; can identify and diagnose pressing business challenges, uncover insights to enhance decision making and can align people strategy to organization strategy
- Demonstrated ability to operate and succeed within a fast paced, team based organization, effectively partnering with peers, senior business leaders, management and professionals to identify and deliver on key objectives and move the needle on engagement, productivity and teamwork.
- Business and Organizational Acumen – using insights of the environment and organization to improve talent and business outcomes
- Ability to influence and respectful challenge leaders and provide new perspectives and re-frames to situations
- Leadership- Persuading and influencing managers and other key stakeholders
- Leveraging networks – using professional networks in strategic activities to achieve better talent outcomes
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, ability to deliver presentations, facilitate and influence meetings with a variety of stakeholders
- Comfortable with cross-functional teams
- Collaborative team player who thrives on coordinating and interacting with multiple stakeholders and on multiple projects
- Strong capabilities in MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel; web-based HRIS experience an asset
- Excellent organizational, planning and time management skills: ability to manage details and organize processes without losing sight of the big picture
- A self-starter with personal accountability and a commitment to achieving and exceeding goals and objectives
- Flexibility and adaptability to seize new opportunities and change existing programs to further meet and exceed clients’ needs.
What it’s like to work at MaRS
MaRS Centre is a vibrant, architecturally inspiring innovation hub with 1.5 million square feet of laboratory, collaboration, and office space connected directly to the Queens Parks subway stop at College and University. MaRS employees enjoy many perks such as:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS.
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, team building outings, and summer golf day.
- The MaRS softball team, yoga at noon, and discounted gym membership
- Indoor bike parking and showers
Our mission-driven organization is filled with passionate, smart people who are finding and turning the levers that will move the economic needle of Canada’s technology-based future.
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS and why you might want to be a part of something bigger than yourself, check out our profile on B Meaningful.
Working conditions: General office environment with operating business hours of 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
Applications are due by 5:00 PM Eastern Time on Tuesday May 21, 2019.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
MaRS Discovery District is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including aboriginal persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.