Are you looking to join an innovative organization powering payments for the next generation of fintech and commerce innovators? Marqeta has built the world’s first open API issuer processor platform from scratch, powering prepaid, debit, and credit cards for the most recognizable names in financial technology, alternative lending, on-demand services and e-commerce. Marqeta has become the leader in payment innovation. Our company is comprised of a team of industry experts, a dynamic approach to working on challenging problems, and an open environment and culture that is focused on ideas and innovation.
Not only do we have an inspiring and innovative culture, but only Marqeta can offer you a chance to help redefine the payments industry. As a testament to the company we've collectively built, our world-class team voted Marqeta one of the Bay Area’s Best Places to Work.
Marqeta is proud of its Oakland roots and strives to build a team as diverse as the cities in which we operate. Underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply.
We are not expecting any single candidate to have an expertise under all areas of our requirements section. Please apply if you meet some but not all of the requirements.
As a lead Engineer on the platform team you will design, implement and maintain our Payment Platform’s Features and Services in a Cloud-Native Architecture. You will help us scale the technology as our business continues to grow while staying focused on shipping software that matters to our customers. You will help to innovate on various aspects of Engineering and Distributed Architecture, focus on the CI/CD process for delivering quality products in the true sense of lean development and help to lead and build a diverse and talented team of software engineers.
- Help lead our Engineering team focusing on enhancing the Core Issuer Payment Procesor
- Collaborate and help integrate payment processing and APIs with web and mobile applications
- Develop automated integration tests, integrated with our CI/CD pipeline.
- Optimizing the performance using caching, messaging, multithreading, database tuning, etc.
- Applying Amazon Web Services Best Practices and PaaS/IaaS offerings to implement the above solutions.
- Mentor other engineers on the team providing thoughtful technical direction
- At least 8 years experience developing Java applications and services at scale
- Plenty of experience with transactional RDMS such as MySQL, Postgres, MS SQL Server, or Oracle
- A strong passion to write code with great quality and test coverage
- Strong communication skills - including ability to listen to the needs of others and comprehend complex matters, articulate issues in a clear and concise manner, and present effectively in both oral and written presentations to all levels in the organization.
- Team-oriented approach – can effectively lead a project or participate as an effective team member as well as work cross-functionally with other organizations.
Bonus points for -
- Experience with Payments
- Production Experience with Amazon Web Services and/or Google Cloud Platform
- Knowledge of a scripting language like Unix, Shell, Perl, Python, or Ruby
- Having previously worked on transition to a Microservices based architecture
- A technical blog, a public Github repo, or contributions to open source projects
- Be a member of an exceptional team - we’re growing and your career with us will too!
- Rich suite of benefit plans - Employee premiums paid 100%
- Generous Paid Time Off plan
- Market-leading fully paid Parental Leave
- Retirement savings - 401k plan with a Company match
- Meaningful Equity
- Bi-annual Hack Weeks to support and reward innovation
- Beautiful downtown Oakland office in a great location, with stunning views of Lake Merritt
- Conveniently located close to public transportation
- Open, transparent culture that includes weekly All Hands meetings, Lunch-and-Learns, all-company offsite, etc.
- Commuter and Parking monthly subsidy
- Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches twice a week, breakfast on Fridays, and more. Access to corporate gym membership rates and other discounts and employee perks!