Marqeta is on a mission to change the way money moves. We’re one of the earliest enablers of embedded finance, a market opportunity sized up in the trillions. Our card issuing platform provides unprecedented flexibility and control for companies to issue cards, authorize transactions, and manage payment operations in real time. Marqeta is powering the most well known brands in the new economy (Block, Cash App, Affirm, Instacart, Doordash, Uber, Walmart, etc). Today nearly 8 out of 10 Americans use a product powered by Marqeta every week. This is the opportunity of a lifetime to work with innovators around the world and unlock equitable financial access for all.
We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer to provide technical leadership for creating our Customer Migration Platform at Marqeta. This is a newly formed area of focus, and we are looking for a strong technical leader with deep experience in developing end to end migrations from scratch. This leader will develop a repeatable process and reusable software components for a highly challenging and complex ecosystem.
We work Flexible First. This role can be performed remotely anywhere within the USA or from our Oakland, California office. We’d love for you to join us!
What you'll do
- Partner with product teams to contribute to the development of innovative, large scale migration experiences by incorporating insights from technical engagements and working closely with key customers and partners.
- Architect, design and develop the software systems and test automations to make customer migrations a repeatable and efficient process
- Be hands-on with coding on a regular basis in modern/industry standard programming languages such as Java, Python and SQL
- Create technical roadmaps, author designs and build key portions of the systems that enable delivery of high quality, highly scalable, highly secure and operationally efficient migration systems to our customers.
- Drive organization wide technical changes through authoring designs, mentoring and guiding technical leads, influencing stakeholders and establishing success metrics
- Raise the skill sets of those around you and make Marqeta better through your presence. Mentor other engineers on the team, drawing on your experience to provide thoughtful direction
- Apply and evangelize modern best practices in your software designs and implementations
What we're looking for
- 15+ years of hands-on software engineering with a Bachelor’s degree; or 12 years and a Master’s degree; or a PhD with 8 years experience. In lieu of a degree, 18+ years of relevant experience may suffice.
- 8+ years of experience with data in building data pipelines for high volume, variety and velocity of data and leading large scale data (not just infrastructure) migrations
- Be a data champion! Hands-on experience and expertise in SQL - enough to ramp up a team of software engineers and build the data muscle in the team
- Experience developing and owning scalable microservices on cloud platforms like AWS (preferred), Azure, or GCP
- In-depth knowledge and experience of cloud native services for software and data engineering, preferably on AWS
- Hands-on experience on a modern cloud data warehouse like Snowflake (preferred), BigQuery or Redshift
- Experience working in modern software engineering ecosystems that leverage frameworks, methodologies and technologies such as CI/CD, containerized apps, Agile (Scrum)
- Excellent collaboration, communication (verbal and written) and leadership skills. Can effectively lead a project and work cross-functionally with other organizations
Nice to haves
- Domain experience in Payments or Fintech industry in general
- Experience with all three flavors of databases - relational, non-relational and data warehouse on cloud such as MySQL, Postgres, MS SQL Server, Oracle, Cassandra, DynamoDB, Snowflake, BigQuery, Redshift
Recruiter For This Role
- Application submission
- Recruiter video call
- Coding Interview
- Virtual “Onsite”
- We do not currently support any new sponsorship opportunities but will consider sponsorship transfers for this role
Compensation and Benefits
Marqeta is a Flex First company which allows you to choose your best working environment, whether that be from home or at a company office. To support Flex First, we calibrate pay to a competitive value according to working location. Compensation is aligned according to three tiers within the United States:
- National: A baseline tier that applies to most of the geographic territory of the United States.
- Premium: Slightly elevated from the National tier, and oriented toward a narrower set of higher cost-of-living areas, such as Los Angeles CA and Seattle WA
- Premium Plus: A tier for the most expensive working areas, like the San Francisco Bay area and New York City.
Visit this page or consult with a Recruiter to determine which tier would be applicable to you.
When determining salaries, we consider several factors including, but not limited to, skills, prior experience, and work location. The new-hire base salary range for this position is:
- National: $168,675 - $224,900
- Premium: $189,750 - $253,000
- Premium Plus: $210,825 - $281,100
We also believe in recognizing the contributions of our people. That's why we award annual bonuses to eligible employees, rewarding both individual performance and the success of the entire company.
Along with monetary compensation, Marqeta offers:
- Multiple health insurance options
- Flexible time off – take what you need
- Retirement savings program with company contribution
- Equity in a publicly-traded company and an Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Family-forming benefits, fertility support, and up to 20 weeks of Parental Leave
- Free therapy sessions, financial and professional coaching, and legal advice
- Monthly stipend to support our remote work model
- Annual “development dollars” to support our people growth and development
Equal Opportunity, Accommodations, and Privacy
Marqeta is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that gives consideration to all qualified applicants, irrespective of any characteristics protected by law. This includes (but is not limited to) race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, color, ancestry, and Veteran status. We consider qualified applicants from all backgrounds, without regard to criminal histories, in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
Our dedication to diversity and inclusion extends beyond the categories above. Review Marqeta’s ESG Report to see that dedication in action. Fostering an environment where everyone feels valued and respected creates a stronger and more innovative team at Marqeta. We celebrate the unique contributions of each individual and empower all members of our organization. Join us in building a company where diversity thrives and everyone can be their authentic selves.
If you require reasonable accommodation for the application process and beyond, please submit this form and we will be more than happy to assist you. Marqeta will make reasonable accommodations for candidates when needed in accordance with applicable law. The Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice applies to the personal data that you directly provide to us or that we collect during the application and candidate recruitment process.