Named as a Forbes Fintech 50 the last two years in a row, Marqeta powers innovative payment solutions for many of the apps and services you enjoy daily. Our modern card issuing platform, open API, and advanced analytics provide unprecedented control for companies to issue cards, authorize transactions and manage payment operations in real-time.
We are a team of industry experts and technology innovators who take a dynamic approach to solving challenging problems. We power possibilities for our customers by bringing the best talent together in an open and collaborative work environment that rewards creativity and perseverance.
Marqeta is proud of its Oakland roots and Denver growth plans and strives to build a global team as diverse as the markets we serve, staying true to our values: Connect the Customer, Everyone Belongs, Marqeta Cares, Lead Innovation, Deliver Results, Quality First and Build One Marqeta. We are not expecting any single candidate to meet all job requirements listed below, so please apply. It's an exciting time to join Marqeta. As we grow, your career and opportunities will grow as well.
Senior Product and Regulatory Counsel. This will be our first legal role located in the U.K. You will have a broad range of responsibilities and work in close partnership with cross-functional and geographically diverse teams supporting the development and delivery of Marqeta’s payment products and services. As we advance our vision of modern money movement, we seek a rock star product and regulatory lawyer who’ll be deeply engaged to help us scale globally.
- Serve as the lead attorney for International product and program management, advising business partners on a wide array of financial services laws and regulations that impact financial technology
- Support and negotiate banking relationships within Europe, Australia and other regions as we expand
- Provide legal support and guidance for customer programs in Europe and other regions
- Provide thought leadership and analysis on existing and proposed regulations impacting our business
- Assist with building government affairs and industry relationships in Europe
- Provide regulatory consultation for commercial arrangements and assist with data processing and transfer agreements
- Deliver practical and strategic advice for innovative product development with a focus on consumer protection, privacy and data localisation requirements
- Instruct and manage outside counsel, as necessary
- Handle other matters as required to support the business
- 10+ years’ experience practicing either in-house or at a reputable law firm
- A proven high-caliber, solution-oriented and proactive attorney with experience in the payments space, including experience with prepaid, debit and credit card products
- Experience with negotiating bank and BIN Sponsor agreements
- Deep understanding of laws and regulations pertaining to financial services and technology (including Payment Services Directives; Anti-Money Laundering Directives; GDPR; Interchange Fee Regulations and EBA Guidelines)
- Expertise in regulations that apply to banks and E-money Institutions
- Familiarity with rules for card networks and other payment clearing systems
- Understanding of payments technology (e.g. APIs, tokenization, digital wallets, crypto)
- Familiarity with non-U.S. privacy frameworks
- A keen sense of ownership, and highly adaptable to a fast-changing environment
- Sound judgment and ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively
- Amenable and ready to support colleagues and projects across multiple time zones
- Sense of humor
- 28 days annual leave
- Full paid Parental Leave
- Pension contribution
- Meaningful Equity
- Flexible working environment
- Monthly mobile and connectivity stipend
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Marqeta is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital/domestic partner status, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.