Named as a Forbes Fintech 50 the last two years in a row, Marqeta powers innovative payment solutions for many of the apps and services you enjoy daily. Our modern card issuing platform, open API, and advanced analytics provide unprecedented control for companies to issue cards, authorize transactions and manage payment operations in real-time.
We are a team of industry experts and technology innovators who take a dynamic approach to solving challenging problems. We power possibilities for our customers by bringing the best talent together in an open and collaborative work environment that rewards creativity and perseverance.
Marqeta is proud of its Oakland roots and Denver growth plans and strives to build a global team as diverse as the markets we serve, staying true to our values: Connect the Customer, Everyone Belongs, Marqeta Cares, Lead Innovation, Deliver Results, Quality First and Build One Marqeta. We are not expecting any single candidate to meet all job requirements listed below, so please apply. It's an exciting time to join Marqeta. As we grow, your career and opportunities will grow as well.
We are seeking a data scientist interested in using open source tools to solve real world business problems, both through analyzing one-off questions and contributing to reusable solutions.
You will join a team of talented engineers, analysts, and data scientists to produce smart and actionable products and tools that support customers internally and externally. Our team strives to enable data driven decision making and this role is critical to that mission. We work in a team environment that interacts directly with the business, so an ability to communicate with both technology and business team members is crucial to meet project objectives appropriately.
- Work with product and operational teams to prioritize important questions and provide scalable and reproducible solutions based on data
- Apply creativity and thoughtfulness to engineer new features and design systems for generating new data
- Partner with software and data engineers to employ statistical and econometric modeling
- 7+ years working in data science or similar quantitative role
- Strong background in Statistics (e.g. hypothesis testing, skewness, kernel weighting) and/or econometrics (e.g. linear regression, discrete choice models, hazard rate modeling)
- Strong knowledge of software development best practices
- Strong experience with both Python and SQL
- Hands on experience implementing ML algorithms
- Experience designing, running, and analyzing experiments
- Experience solving data driven questions with business stakeholders and ability to communicate results clearly
- Experience with git and the pull request workflow
Bonus points for
- Fraud modeling experience
- Experience with Amazon Redshift and Snowflake
- Background in Applied Economics
- Payments or financial services domain knowledge
- Experience with distributed data tools (Hadoop, Spark, etc)
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Rich suite of benefit plans; employee premiums paid 100%
- Flexible Time Off
- Full paid Parental Leave
- Pet insurance
- 401k plan with a Company match
- Competitive pay
- Meaningful equity
- Monthly stipend
- Bi-annual “Hack Week” to support and reward innovation
- Open, transparent culture that includes All Hands meetings, Lunch-and-Learns, all-company offsites, etc.
- Access to corporate gym membership rates, other discounts and employee perks
- Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches twice a week, breakfast on Fridays and more!
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Marqeta is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital/domestic partner status, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.