Named as a Forbes Fintech 50 the last two years in a row, Marqeta powers innovative payment solutions for many of the apps and services you enjoy daily. Our modern card issuing platform, open API, and advanced analytics provide unprecedented control for companies to issue cards, authorize transactions and manage payment operations in real-time.
We are a team of industry experts and technology innovators who take a dynamic approach to solving challenging problems. We power possibilities for our customers by bringing the best talent together in an open and collaborative work environment that rewards creativity and perseverance.
Marqeta is proud of its Oakland roots and Denver growth plans and strives to build a global team as diverse as the markets we serve, staying true to our values: Connect the Customer, Everyone Belongs, Marqeta Cares, Lead Innovation, Deliver Results, Quality First and Build One Marqeta. We are not expecting any single candidate to meet all job requirements listed below, so please apply. It's an exciting time to join Marqeta. As we grow, your career and opportunities will grow as well.
Marqeta seeks a seasoned Associate Director of Purchasing to join the growing Finance team. The goal is to enhance the procurement and purchasing process, optimize controls, and reduce operating costs. In this role, you will be the primary leader for Marqeta’s procurement function and act as a liaison with your internal customers (the cross-functional business stakeholders) as well as external third-party partners (vendors and suppliers). You will build and maintain strong cross-functional relationships with transparency to ensure synergies that lead to efficiencies across the Revenue, Accounting, FP&A, Accounts Payable and Legal teams. You will oversee, negotiate and manage contracts with all of Marqeta’s vendors and suppliers.
Being a leading innovator in the payments card processing business, Marqeta is experiencing exponential growth. The Finance team strives to be the “back-seat driver” to support and guide the management team through such high pace growth. We are building efficient and responsive processes, implementing new systems and tools, and expanding the partnership with both internal and external customers. As part of a small team, you will have a great opportunity to own these activities and develop a rewarding career as the company expands.
The ideal candidate should possess a solid background in the procurement, vendor management and purchasing function. Strong contract understanding and negotiation skills, knowledge in accounting and finance processes, and experience with ERP and planning systems are important to the success of this role. Furthermore, we are looking for candidates who have a keen sense of ownership, being adaptive to a fast changing environment, and a high curiosity to learn about the business and products.
- Assesses, suggests recommendations for, and develops a sourcing strategy for the entire Company and designs procedures for best practices and standards in vendor relationship management
- Develops and implements a contract management strategy to support the service needs of the Company. Promotes competition among Vendor community
- Determines and assists with budgetary needs for designated departments
- Offers oversight of all purchases in compliance with the procurement procedures and policies
- Identifies optimization potential and formulates strategies that deliver the greatest total cost of ownership through continuous spend analysis
- Develops an understanding of cost drivers of contracts in managed spend categories, identifies opportunities for cost reduction, and converts to savings
- Analyzes performance of suppliers and develops improvement actions
- Engages with existing suppliers to negotiate costs and lead times to support the needs of the Company
- Develops long-term partnerships with vendors who meet Company’s strategic planning goals
- Builds partnership with key internal stakeholders such as finance, accounting, legal and business to adhere to various requirements and understanding of commercial projects
- Works closely with Legal and Accounts Payable groups to manage flow between the Legal contract system and the Purchasing requisitioning system
- Reviews, analyzes and clarifies vendor proposals and quotes to ensure equal comparison
- Develops and establishes sourcing review templates to allow efficient cross-functional vendor selection workflow
- Manages ongoing vendor relationships as the assigned contact for all commercial issues, and reviews vendor performance by creating and maintaining vendor scorecards
- BS/BA degree
- At least 7 - 8 years of sourcing and procurement operational experience, preferably in a rapidly growing/evolving environment, with prior experience in SaaS tools/licenses, IT Hardware and Managed Services
- Seasoned understanding and capability to identify and negotiate critical contractual clauses
- Proven ability to analyze and synthesize critical information
- Demonstrated ability to identify business process inefficiencies and drive process improvements
- Motivated self-starter with great interpersonal and communication skills
- Best practices and benchmarks knowledge in the procurement and sourcing area
- Rich suite of benefit plans; employee premiums paid 100%
- Flexible Time Off
- Full paid Parental Leave
- Pet insurance
- 401k plan with a Company match
- Competitive pay
- Meaningful equity
- Monthly stipend
- Bi-annual “Hack Week” to support and reward innovation
- Open, transparent culture that includes All Hands meetings, Lunch-and-Learns, all-company offsites, etc.
- Access to corporate gym membership rates, other discounts and employee perks
- Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches twice a week, breakfast on Fridays and more!
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Marqeta is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital/domestic partner status, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.