Named as a Forbes Fintech 50 the last two years in a row, Marqeta powers innovative payment solutions for many of the apps and services you enjoy daily. Our modern card issuing platform, open API, and advanced analytics provide unprecedented control for companies to issue cards, authorize transactions and manage payment operations in real-time.
We are a team of industry experts and technology innovators who take a dynamic approach to solving challenging problems. We power possibilities for our customers by bringing the best talent together in an open and collaborative work environment that rewards creativity and perseverance.
Marqeta is proud of its Oakland roots and Denver growth plans and strives to build a global team as diverse as the markets we serve, staying true to our values: Connect the Customer, Everyone Belongs, Marqeta Cares, Lead Innovation, Deliver Results, Quality First and Build One Marqeta. We are not expecting any single candidate to meet all job requirements listed below, so please apply. It's an exciting time to join Marqeta. As we grow, your career and opportunities will grow as well.
Marqeta is looking for two Strategic Partner Development Managers who can deepen Marqeta’s existing partnerships and build and develop new partnerships across Global Payment Networks and Ecosystem Partners.
Both roles are on the Strategic Partnerships team within Business Development. The Business Development team plays a vital role in growing Marqeta's revenue and increasing the overall portfolio of our partnerships. This role will inevitably include networking to build relationships, problem solving, crafting value propositions, presentations, economic modeling, contracting and selling. Key to this role is an ability to understand Marqeta's technology, expertly communicate its benefits, and win the trust of Marqeta's key channel partners and the product and technology teams of our potential partners.
You’ll be collaborating closely with other key players on the Marqeta team, including Business Development, Customer Success, Operations, Product, Technology and Legal.
The ideal candidate will possess a strong business background that enables them to interact productively and compellingly at the Manager/Director level. A demonstrated understanding of B2B card programs, prepaid card payments, and overall digital-enabled commerce is a plus. The candidate should also have a demonstrated ability to think strategically and analytically about business, product, and technical challenges, with the ability to build and convey compelling value propositions, and work cross-organizationally to build consensus. A keen sense of ownership, drive and scrappiness is a must.
We're looking for someone who will produce results, and wakes up each morning feeling hungry to build more relationships, solve more problems and close more deals. You will also need to understand the basics of how SaaS and platform technology companies work, and be able to communicate technical and product benefits to both sophisticated and unsophisticated buyers. Solving problems and building solutions with limited structure and oversight comes naturally to you, and you consistently receive praise on your analytical abilities, communication skills, and approach to collaboration
This role is focused on developing and managing our key payment network and ecosystem partnerships, generating and closing new opportunities with those partners, and actively supporting the Revenue Team on partner specific items - here are are a few key expectations:
- Support and Develop Global Payment Network & Ecosystem Partner Relationships: Support and develop Marqeta's relationships with our Global Payment Network Partners. Manage the day to day aspects of a portfolio of Ecosystem Partners. Represent us strongly, have partners hold Marqeta in a high regard, and create the conditions for partners to drive business to Marqeta.
- Partner with Internal Counterparts: Establish a global operating model that enables you to effectively manage the global relationship with each internal partner while trusting and enabling Marqeta local teams to manage the day to day engagement.
- Know the Tech: Quickly get up to speed on Marqeta's technical capabilities, the unique features and customer benefits our platform offers and how to speak with confidence, knowledge and credibility about what we bring to our customers.
- See Around Corners: Use your expertise in payments and your relationships with our channel to ensure Marqeta is staying ahead of the curve in terms of key industry trends, our key partners' evolving needs and how our product can improve to meet the market.
- Numbers Fanatic: Be obsessed about hitting your numbers and supporting the rest of the Revenue Team in achieving our collective goals for the organization.
- Lead basic partnership deals and ongoing partner management. Partner with senior colleagues to support larger, more complex partnership deals.
- Drive revenue and volume growth initiatives across a portfolio of partners.
- Create presentations, economic models, visual displays, email correspondence and other supporting collateral for each opportunity
- Interact closely with partners and prospects on a day-to-day basis throughout the partner development cycle of each opportunity. Work collectively with the partner to drive towards partner specific and broader team goals.
- Be an internal subject matter expert on network economics (e.g., costs, interchange, etc.), providing guidance, training and fielding deal specific questions. Partner closely with Deals Desk and Finance to execute related initiatives.
- Work with the Partnerships, Revenue Operations and Finance teams on driving and tracking KPIs
- Develop and own processes to support internal decision making on key initiatives
- Support internal and external business reviews regarding the status of key initiatives and progress against strategy and key objectives
In addition to proven strategy and business development experience, we’re on the hunt for the following attributes:
- 3-5 years experience in payments strategy, partnerships and/or business development roles
- Strong understanding of the payments ecosystem. Experience at a payment network, issuer processor or issuing bank is preferred.
- Understand how to optimize the partner development cycle from lead stage
- Familiarity and ease with technology, B2B technology applications and how technology platforms serve customer businesses
- Ability to prioritize, manage, and deliver on multiple projects simultaneously; highly motivated and able to work against aggressive schedules
- Superior communication skills (interpersonal, verbal, presentation written, email)
- Positive attitude, team player, adaptable, resourceful, and self-starter who is able to work independently
- A person of strong character and integrity, who can consistently represent Marqeta’s values, contribute to Marqeta’s culture and inspire direct reports and our entire organization to exceed expectation
- Has an eye for the details and thrives under the pressure of a long “to-do” list
Personal Characteristics: Self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook and a clear focus on high quality deliverables. A natural forward planner who critically assesses his/her own performance and craves high quality feedback from colleagues. Reliable, tolerant, and determined. Empathic communicator, able to see things from the other person's point of view. At home in a high-paced, intense but informal start-up environment.
Business and Selling Skills: You truly love customer interactions, diving deep into the numbers and influencing people and outcomes. You make things happen and simply put, produce results. You excel in your communications, whether face-to-face, email, phone or otherwise, and can successfully navigate interpersonal dynamics with a variety of business owners, managers and stakeholders.
- Rich suite of benefit plans; employee premiums paid 100%
- Flexible Time Off
- Full paid Parental Leave
- Pet insurance
- 401k plan with a Company match
- Competitive pay
- Meaningful equity
- Monthly stipend
- Bi-annual “Hack Week” to support and reward innovation
- Open, transparent culture that includes All Hands meetings, Lunch-and-Learns, all-company offsites, etc.
- Access to corporate gym membership rates, other discounts and employee perks
- Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches twice a week, breakfast on Fridays and more!
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Marqeta is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital/domestic partner status, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.