PLEASE NOTE THIS ROLE WILL HAVE JANUARY 2021 START
Named as a Forbes Fintech 50 the last two years in a row, Marqeta powers innovative payment solutions for many of the apps and services you enjoy daily. Our modern card issuing platform, open API, and advanced analytics provide unprecedented control for companies to issue cards, authorize transactions and manage payment operations in real-time.
We are a team of industry experts and technology innovators who take a dynamic approach to solving challenging problems. We power possibilities for our customers by bringing the best talent together in an open and collaborative work environment that rewards creativity and perseverance.
Marqeta is proud of its Oakland roots and Denver growth plans and strives to build a global team as diverse as the markets we serve, staying true to our values: Connect the Customer, Everyone Belongs, Marqeta Cares, Lead Innovation, Deliver Results, Quality First and Build One Marqeta. We are not expecting any single candidate to meet all job requirements listed below, so please apply. It's an exciting time to join Marqeta. As we grow, your career and opportunities will grow as well.
Marqeta is looking for an energetic Communications Manager to join its Marketing team, with a passion for working with media, strong attention to detail and excitement for evangelizing great technology. This role will support the growing Communications function at Marqeta, while also working cross-functionally with the Marqeta Executive, Marketing, Business Development, Customer Success and Product teams.
The successful candidate will be ready to hit the ground running on day one and bring a broad set of communications and public relations skills to the table. They’ll have an opportunity to be on the front lines of telling the Marqeta story to the industry, shaping public perception of one of the leading brands in payments and fintech.
In this role, you will help shape Marqeta’s media strategy, proactively pitching stories to journalists and working everyday to connect the Marqeta story with relevant journalists. You’ll work closely with our US and European PR agencies, manage end-to-end execution of media opportunities, and contribute as a writer when necessary.
This role will be responsible for supporting critical parts of the communications and public relations function: pitching stories to journalists that work in the payment industry, working to win over every journalist and grow our base of media contacts, working with PR agencies to bring media opportunities to life, manage end-to-end execution of media opportunities, writing press releases and thought leadership, oversee content development for speaking opportunities and partner with Marqeta executives to help bring their ideas and vision to life.
- Proactively pitch stories to payments and fintech journalists that actively report on Marqeta.
- Help win over every relevant journalist, actively working to connect Marqeta’s story and mission with all relevant reporters and grow Marqeta’s core base of media contacts.
- Be a key internal partner to our US and Europe PR agencies to help schedule and enable media opportunities they bring to us.
- End-to-end execution of incoming media opportunities: from pitching, to helping write executive talking points, to staffing interviews with Marqeta executives and reporters.
- Position Marqeta executives for prominent spots at key industry events, and help manage content development for all Marqeta speaking opportunities.
- Where appropriate write press releases and manage approvals processes.
- Ghost writing thought leadership or helping to oversee and manage PR agencies ghostwriting articles.
- Work with Marqeta executives to represent their voice and ideas in thought leadership.
- Be a key and vocal voice in setting Marqeta’s external media strategy.
The ideal candidate for this role will have 4-6 years of work experience, with hands-on experience in technology PR, working with journalists and developing story ideas. Experience working with PR agencies is a huge plus. The right candidate will bring with them a skillset that will allow them to execute and thrive immediately, managing a broad portfolio of responsibility within a fast-paced environment.
- Bachelors Degree and 4-6 years of relevant work experience
- Strong aptitude and enthusiasm for working in B2B tech PR and communications
- Great writer, with a natural flair for storytelling.
- Looking for a great place to take your career in public relations to the next level
- Natural attention to detail, and ability to work on complicated and overlapping work streams from start to finish.
- Ability to work cross functionally and strong interpersonal skills
- Rich suite of benefit plans; employee premiums paid 100%
- Flexible Time Off
- Full paid Parental Leave
- Pet insurance
- 401k plan with a Company match
- Competitive pay
- Meaningful equity
- Monthly stipend
- Bi-annual “Hack Week” to support and reward innovation
- Open, transparent culture that includes All Hands meetings, Lunch-and-Learns, all-company offsites, etc.
- Access to corporate gym membership rates, other discounts and employee perks
- Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches twice a week, breakfast on Fridays and more!
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Marqeta is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital/domestic partner status, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.