Named as a Forbes Fintech 50 the last two years in a row, Marqeta powers innovative payment solutions for many of the apps and services you enjoy daily. Our modern card issuing platform, open API, and advanced analytics provide unprecedented control for companies to issue cards, authorize transactions and manage payment operations in real-time.
We are a team of industry experts and technology innovators who take a dynamic approach to solving challenging problems. We power possibilities for our customers by bringing the best talent together in an open and collaborative work environment that rewards creativity and perseverance.
Marqeta is proud of its Oakland roots and Denver growth plans and strives to build a global team as diverse as the markets we serve, staying true to our values: Connect the Customer, Everyone Belongs, Marqeta Cares, Lead Innovation, Deliver Results, Quality First and Build One Marqeta. We are not expecting any single candidate to meet all job requirements listed below, so please apply. It's an exciting time to join Marqeta. As we grow, your career and opportunities will grow as well.
Marqeta is looking for a highly driven, coachable, self-starter for a Business Development / Strategic Account Support role who will help the Portfolio Lead(s) with delivering and executing on the account/portfolio strategy, building and managing unique partnerships with top financial institutions and global technology firms, and helping to grow Revenue across the Portfolio(s). You will support a set of accounts, including both existing customers and new prospects.
This team focuses on Strategic Accounts across top financial institutions and global technology firms and plays a vital role in growing Marqeta's revenue and increasing the overall portfolio value. This will inevitably include supporting to develop new contacts, networking to build relationships, creating sales presentations, economic modeling, research, organization, and contracting. Key to this role is an ability to understand Marqeta's technology and how it brings value to the market specifically to these large Strategic Accounts, expertly communicate its benefits, and win the trust of the business, product and technology teams of our potential partners.
You’ll be collaborating closely with other key players on the Marqeta team, including Product, Technology, Operations, Risk, and Legal.
This role is about supporting and growing partnerships with strategic accounts. You will partner closely with the Portfolio Lead and senior leadership, peers, and other decision-makers to help execute the strategy, generate and close new business while working closely across teams on the success and growth of the current business. Key responsibilities will include:
- Support the Portfolio Lead(s): Assist in delivering on the strategy for each of the Strategic Accounts - outlining prospect’s strategy and partnership opportunities, enabling Marqeta to stay a step ahead of customers’ needs.
- Build Relationships and Identify Opportunities within Strategic Accounts: Help to build upon strategic relationships - establishing Marqeta as a trusted partner and identifying and executing on new partnership and revenue opportunities.
- Partner with Cross-Functional Teams: Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including Sales, Product, Technology, and Operations to structure and execute business initiatives. Help manage complex business-related issues that arise during the customer lifecycle.
- Support the Process: From your first day, you will be expected to help manage real customer relationships and prospect into new strategic accounts, from research, initial engagement, helping to identify new opportunities, through pricing discussions through final contract negotiations.
Know the Tech: Quickly get up to speed on Marqeta's technical capabilities, the unique features and customer benefits our platform offers and how to speak with confidence, knowledge and credibility about what we bring to our customers.
In addition to proven sales experience, we’re on the hunt for the following attributes
- 2-4 years experience in business development, partnerships or strategy roles
- Strong understanding of the payments and fintech ecosystems, with bonus points for knowing the issuing side. Experience at a top financial institution, issuer processor, or fintech is preferred.
- Understand how to support and optimize the sales cycle and relationship management and growth of large Strategic Accounts
- Familiarity and ease with technology, B2B technology applications and how technology platforms serve customer businesses
- Ability to prioritize, manage, and deliver on multiple projects simultaneously; highly motivated and able to work against aggressive schedules
- Strong problem solving skills with the ability to work cross-functionally to deliver on the customer’s needs
- Superior communication skills (interpersonal, verbal, presentation written, email)
- Positive attitude, team player, adaptable, resourceful, and self-starter who is able to work independently
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Rich suite of benefit plans; employee premiums paid 100%
- Flexible Time Off
- Full paid Parental Leave
- Pet insurance
- 401k plan with a Company match
- Competitive pay
- Meaningful equity
- Monthly stipend
- Bi-annual “Hack Week” to support and reward innovation
- Open, transparent culture that includes All Hands meetings, Lunch-and-Learns, all-company offsites, etc.
- Access to corporate gym membership rates, other discounts and employee perks
- Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches twice a week, breakfast on Fridays and more!
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Marqeta is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital/domestic partner status, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.