Named as a Forbes Fintech 50 the last two years in a row, Marqeta powers innovative payment solutions for many of the apps and services you enjoy daily. Our modern card issuing platform, open API, and advanced analytics provide unprecedented control for companies to issue cards, authorize transactions and manage payment operations in real-time.
We are a team of industry experts and technology innovators who take a dynamic approach to solve challenging problems. We power possibilities for our customers by bringing the best talent together in an open and collaborative work environment that rewards creativity and perseverance.
Marqeta is proud of its Oakland roots and strives to build a global team as diverse as the markets we serve, staying true to our values to Connect the Customer, Find a Way, Make Simple, Take Risk and Build One Marqeta. We are not expecting any single candidate to meet all the job requirements listed below, so please apply. It’s an exciting time to join Marqeta. As we grow, your career and opportunities will grow as well.
As an Engineering Manager at Marqeta, you ll manage a team of engineers building the next generation of innovative financial products. You ll be responsible for one or many component(s) of the Marqeta platform, and work with cross-functional partners to build a roadmap, set sprint priorities, and deliver software that is highly available, efficient, and secure. You ll be hands on with the codebase when needed, but recognize when it s best to let your team drive.
By being accountable for your team s output, you ll collect and refine metrics around product delivery and move the team in the right direction. You ll encourage a culture where everyone s perspective is valued and you can productively manage conflicts when they arise.
You ll champion engineering excellence and hold a high bar while recruiting and promoting top talent within your team.
- Manages a team of engineers across multiple projects within a product group
- Holds regular one-on-ones and career growth conversations
- Initiates conversations around goal setting and gives regular feedback and coaching
- Leads large, complex projects; breaking them down into smaller tasks and working with product managers and other engineers to drive those tasks to completion
- Accountable for team s projects
- Influences peer group in developing strategy
- Works cross-functionally with other team managers and product leads
- Actively participates in recruiting beyond interviews - sell candidates, build network, assist in headcount planning, etc
- Collaborates effectively with Product to influence the roadmap and prioritize projects
- 5+ years of experience with at least 2 years of managing people.
- Demonstrated ability to remove one s own roadblocks.
- Exceptional engineering skills and experience with architectural patterns of large, high-scale applications.
- Ability to connect the dots beyond a singular task/project to understand the implications for the squad, product, and business, not only focused on own work.
- Ability to advocate for your team, provides support, and removes obstacles to keep them focused.
- Recruit, maintain and promote a world-class engineering team
- Outstanding communication skills and isn t afraid to give feedback..
- Rich suite of benefit plans; employee premiums paid 100%
- Flexible Time Off
- Full paid Parental Leave
- Pet insurance
- 401k plan with a Company match
- Competitive pay
- Meaningful equity
- Monthly stipend
- Bi-annual “Hack Week” to support and reward innovation
- Open, transparent culture that includes All Hands meetings, Lunch-and-Learns, all-company offsites, etc.
- Access to corporate gym membership rates, other discounts and employee perks
- Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches twice a week, breakfast on Fridays and more!
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Marqeta is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital/domestic partner status, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.