Are you looking to join an innovative organization powering payments for the next generation of fintech and commerce innovators? Marqeta has built the world’s first open API issuer processor platform from scratch, powering prepaid, debit, and credit cards for the most recognizable names in financial technology, alternative lending, on-demand services and e-commerce. Marqeta has become the leader in payment innovation. Our company is comprised of a team of industry experts, a dynamic approach to working on challenging problems, and an open environment and culture that is focused on ideas and innovation.
Not only do we have an inspiring and innovative culture, but only Marqeta can offer you a chance to help redefine the payments industry. As a testament to the company we've collectively built, our world-class team voted Marqeta one of the Bay Area’s Best Places to Work.
Marqeta is proud of its Oakland roots and strives to build a team as diverse as the cities in which we operate. Underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply.
We are not expecting any single candidate to have an expertise under all areas of our requirements section. Please apply if you meet some but not all of the requirements.
The Credit team is building a modern credit issuing service to power the next generation of payment innovators.
As a Lead engineer on the team, you’ll focus on building the core of our modern issuer processor. You’ll add features to Marqeta’s existing services, as well as develop novel microservices to meet our customers needs. You’ll scale these services to handle millions of transactions per day and play a critical role in our team’s success.
- Work across the organization to enhance Marqeta’s core processing functionality
- Build novel APIs and microservices to handle new product use cases
- Collaborate with front end engineers to develop beautiful, functional interfaces
- Optimize performance using caching, messaging, multi-threading, database tuning and other techniques
- Practice test-driven development to ensure high quality
- Perform estimates and work breakdowns from user stories and specifications
- 7+ years of experience developing backend applications at scale
- Mastery of transactional databases including MySQL or Postgres
- Knowledge of a scripting language like Bash, Perl, Python or Ruby
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, Docker, and Amazon Web Services
- Practiced time estimation and management skills
Bonus points for -
- Experience with scaling Java applications
- Background building highly available, low latency systems
- Previous experience in the payments industry
- An active Github repository
- Be a member of an exceptional team - we’re growing and your career with us will too!
- Rich suite of benefit plans - Employee premiums paid 100%
- Generous Paid Time Off plan
- Market-leading fully paid Parental Leave
- Retirement savings - 401k plan with a Company match
- Meaningful Equity
- Bi-annual Hack Weeks to support and reward innovation
- Beautiful downtown Oakland office in a great location, with stunning views of Lake Merritt
- Conveniently located close to public transportation
- Open, transparent culture that includes weekly All Hands meetings, Lunch-and-Learns, all-company offsite, etc.
- Commuter and Parking monthly subsidy
- Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches twice a week, breakfast on Fridays, and more. Access to corporate gym membership rates and other discounts and employee perks!