Are you looking to join an innovative organization powering payments for the next generation of fintech and commerce innovators? Marqeta has built the world’s first open API issuer processor platform from scratch, powering prepaid, debit, and credit cards for the most recognizable names in financial technology, alternative lending, on-demand services and e-commerce. Marqeta has become the leader in payment innovation. Our company is comprised of a team of industry experts, a dynamic approach to working on challenging problems, and an open environment and culture that is focused on ideas and innovation.
Not only do we have an inspiring and innovative culture, but only Marqeta can offer you a chance to help redefine the payments industry. As a testament to the company we've collectively built, our world-class team voted Marqeta one of the Bay Area’s Best Places to Work.
Marqeta is proud of its Oakland roots and strives to build a team as diverse as the cities in which we operate. Underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply.
We are not expecting any single candidate to have an expertise under all areas of our requirements section. Please apply if you meet some but not all of the requirements.
As a Paralegal, you’ll work closely with Marqeta’s in-house counsel, individual business units and cross functional teams in all aspects of the legal, regulatory and government relations operations and functions that support Marqeta’s business.
- Lead the generation of cardholder agreements and other program documents.
- Manage the contract and legal document management and flow.
- Perform legal and compliance research and analysis.
- Contribute to building the legal team processes that can scale Marqeta’s growth.
- Assist with coordination of IP portfolio development and documentation.
- Support various ongoing or special legal, compliance or government relations projects.
- Assist with and improve contracts management process and system, as well as implementation of contract policies.
Who we’re looking for
- A proven high-caliber, experienced, solution-oriented and proactive paralegal with experience in the payments or financial services space
- Deep understanding of and experience with the payments industry and related legal issues, including the laws, rules and regulations related to participants in various payments systems
- Strong research, analytical, written and oral communication skills, including a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with various functions and levels within an organization
- A keen sense of ownership, and highly adaptable to a fast-changing environment
- A solid business focus with practical risk awareness
Education and Experience
- BS or BA degree from an accredited college or university and paralegal certificate
- 6+ years experience as a paralegal, with in-house experience preferred
- Experience implementing legal and compliance processes and best practices
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously to complete tasks timely and accurately
- Proven track record of taking initiative to identify and solve problems, manage projects, make continuous process improvements and work both independently and as a member of a team
- Experience in a start-up and/or high-tech environment is a plus
- Sense of humor
- Be a member of an exceptional team - we’re growing and your career and opportunities with us will, too!
- Rich suite of benefit plans - Employee premiums paid 100%
- Generous Paid Time Off plan
- Market-leading fully paid Parental Leave
- Retirement savings - 401k plan with a Company match
- Meaningful Equity
- Bi-annual Hack Weeks to support and reward innovation
- Beautiful downtown Oakland office in a great location, with stunning views of Lake Merritt
- Conveniently located close to public transportation
- Open, transparent culture that includes weekly All Hands meetings, Lunch-and-Learns, all-company offsite, etc.
- Commuter and Parking monthly subsidy
- Access to corporate gym membership rates and other discounts and employee perks!
- Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches twice a week, breakfast on Fridays, and more!