Are you looking to join an innovative organization powering payments for the next generation of fintech and commerce innovators? Marqeta has built the world’s first open API issuer processor platform from scratch, powering prepaid, debit, and credit cards for the most recognizable names in financial technology, alternative lending, on-demand services and e-commerce. Marqeta has become the leader in payment innovation. Our company is comprised of a team of industry experts, a dynamic approach to working on challenging problems, and an open environment and culture that is focused on ideas and innovation.
Not only do we have an inspiring and innovative culture, but only Marqeta can offer you a chance to help redefine the payments industry. As a testament to the company we've collectively built, our world-class team voted Marqeta one of the Bay Area’s Best Places to Work.
Marqeta is proud of its Oakland roots and strives to build a team as diverse as the cities in which we operate. Underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply.
We are not expecting any single candidate to have an expertise under all areas of our requirements section. Please apply if you meet some but not all of the requirements.
We are seeking a data scientist interested in using open source tools to solve real world business problems, both through analyzing one-off questions and contributing to reusable solutions. The Data Scientist, Fraud will join a team of talented engineers, analysts, and data scientists to produce smart and actionable risk intelligence products and tools that support customers internally and externally. Our team strives to enable data driven decision making and this role is critical to that mission. This role will incorporate different streams of data to help improve KYC, monitor and alert transactions, and work to make payments more secure. We work in a team environment that interacts directly with the business, so an ability to communicate with both technology and business team members is crucial to meet project objectives appropriately.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with product and operational teams to prioritize important questions and provide scalable and reproducible solutions based on data
- Apply creativity and thoughtfulness to engineer new features and design systems for generating new data
- Partner with software and data engineers to employ statistical and econometric modeling to predict risk for users, transactions, and businesses.
- 1-3 years experience working directly with meaningful data
- Strong background in Statistics (e.g. hypothesis testing, skewness, kernel weighting) and Econometrics (e.g. linear regression, discrete choice models, hazard rate modeling)
- Strong knowledge of a scientific computing language (Python or R) and SQL
- Hands on experience implementing Machine Learning algorithms
- Experience designing, running, and analyzing experiments
- Experience solving data driven questions with business stakeholders and ability to communicate results clearly
- Experience with Amazon Redshift
- Background in Applied Economics
- Experience with git, github, and the pull request workflow
- Payments or financial services domain knowledge
- Experience with distributed data tools (Hadoop, Spark, etc)
- Be a member of an exceptional team - we’re growing and your career and opportunities with us will, too!
- Rich suite of benefit plans - Employee premiums paid 100%
- Generous Paid Time Off plan
- Market-leading fully paid Parental Leave
- Retirement savings - 401k plan with a Company match
- Meaningful Equity
- Bi-annual Hack Weeks to support and reward innovation
- Beautiful downtown Oakland office in a great location, with stunning views of Lake Merritt
- Conveniently located close to public transportation
- Open, transparent culture that includes weekly All Hands meetings, Lunch-and-Learns, all-company offsite, etc.
- Commuter and Parking monthly subsidy
- Access to corporate gym membership rates and other discounts and employee perks!
- Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches twice a week, breakfast on Fridays, and more!