At Markforged our vision is to reinvent manufacturing. We know this will not happen overnight, and that it will take the work of many passionate individuals to not only envision what the future could be, but to perform the underlying research to make that future a reality. As part of the R&D team you will own what comes next in additive manufacturing. You will be responsible for investigating the fundamentals of Fused Filament Fabrication and Continuous Fiber Fabrication technology and using that knowledge to implement improved slicing strategies. You will own proof-of-concept development of new capabilities - slicing techniques, subsystems, and processes. You will be hands-on with prototyping next-generation platform and utilize a suite of analytical techniques to support your work. The current opening is focusing on software engineering and will be working on a cross functional team.
Please select your focus when applying: Software, Print Systems, Plastics, Composites, Metal, Robotics.
What will you own?
- Propose development areas and proof of concept studies
- Design and run experiments, analyze results, and communicate conclusions
- Design, build, and test new 3D printing features, sub-systems and processes
- Document research progress and communicate recommendations
- Develop and maintain project plans
- Analyze current print systems and collaborate with other engineering teams to implement improvements
- Make and question assumptions - with data
- Support Application Engineers as they test out your innovations in the market
- Investigate the landscape of “how things are made” and propose research avenues for order-of-magnitude improvements
- Work with the Product team to prioritize and execute on company priorities and new opportunities
Although we list out what we generally look for, we are very likely missing other attributes and skills that you have that could make you a great fit, but are not currently listed. Research has shown this especially applies to women and other marginalized groups, who tend to apply if they check 100% of every box, versus men who apply if they hit roughly 60%. The point we’re getting at, it doesn’t hurt to take a chance and apply!
What you have:
- 2+ year experience building and shipping high quality code with strong CS fundamentals
- A demonstrated ability to produce innovative solutions to challenging open-ended technical problems
- Strong communication skills
- Enthusiasm to take ownership of some projects, and be a team player on others
- A drive for quality documentation
- A bias-for-action
- Systems level thinking and breaking down problems to their core element
- Initiative to learn skills as required to complete an objective (e.g. CAD, Labview, imaging, analytical tools)
- Experience with contemporary web development frameworks (Angular, React/ Redux, etc)
- Experience with IoT development, and working with microprocessors
- Passion for geometry / 3D graphics is a plus
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field