Markforged is hiring a Manager, Software Engineering to grow & lead a next generation platform team. The team will be based in Watertown, MA, though both the manager and team members may be full-time remote. If you have experience in people leadership, software engineering, thrive in fast-paced environments, and are excited to be part of a development team from MVP to scale, come join us!
What will you own?
The Manager, Software Engineering - B2B Products, reporting into Engineering Senior Leadership, is the primary technical owner of one of our next generation software platforms. Ultimately, this role begins as a player / coach and in 2022 will be responsible for 3 key areas:
- “Coach”: As direct manager and people leader of software engineering efforts on this next generation platform, you will drive day-to-day management, hiring, and creating an org vision for future software engineer scale.
- “Player”: As part of a brand new team, you will also contribute directly to development efforts, architecture, and other hands-on technical activities as needed through the scale of the team.
- Next Gen Platform Technical Lead - Responsible for working with the core Software team, Product and Program Management on generation of program plans and roadmaps in an Agile environment.
Markforged strongly values individuals who use, understand, and love our product, and want to see their efforts actively being used by their customers. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of hands-on experience for managing and maturing teams, and with a “ship often” mindset.
Although we list out what we generally look for, we are very likely missing other attributes and skills that you have that could make you a great fit, but are not currently listed. Research has shown this especially applies to women and other marginalized groups, who tend to apply if they check 100% of every box, versus men who apply if they hit roughly 60%. The point we’re getting at, it doesn’t hurt to take a chance and apply!
What you have:
- 3+ years experience in Engineering Management
- 5+ years experience in leading the design, execution, and shipment of high quality features with strong Computer Science fundamentals
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or equivalent
- Proven experience delivering under an Agile/Scrum/Kanban methodology
- Experience with contemporary web development frameworks (Angular, React/ Redux, Node.js, etc)
- Experience with cloud systems such as AWS or Azure
- Knowledge of performance optimization, parallelization, and distributed systems
- Experience building APIs, Services and/or Scaling Systems
- Significant Experience with Schema Design and Query Optimization with SQL
- Have excellent verbal & written English communication
- Proficiency in writing Node applications and scaling them to support thousands of users
- Can design and implement tooling and automation for clustering, scaling, monitoring and alerting
- Experience with web-based visualization frameworks (Canvas, D3, Three.js, WebGL and more)
- Experience with CAD/CAM software and 3D modeling libraries
- Experience as a Software Engineer or Manager, Software Engineering in very early product stages (pre-MVP)
- Experience with e-commerce, payments, or similar SaaS workflows.