Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snap, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
Mapbox is a global company with offices in Washington, D.C., San Francisco, Beijing, Minsk and Helsinki.
What We Do
The Navigation team is composed of proud builders of solutions to problems in the routing space for industries like auto, logistics, outdoors and more. We solve complex geospatial data problems and leverage statistical analysis alongside live and historical traffic profiles to get users from A → B as efficiently as possible. Our customers are primarily developers, like us. When they're successful, we're successful.
What You’ll Do
Mapbox is looking for a hands-on, technical manager to lead the development of our Navigation Core libraries. You will be responsible for organizing team’s day-to-day work, developing the people on the team, and making sure everything we work on is driven by customer needs and has impact on the overall business.
In this role, you will:
- Deliver complex, high-impact projects while providing technical expertise and mentorship to your team
- Operate the team day-to-day and be hands-on in project management
- Manage and develop the team through hiring, retaining, mentoring, and continually building the team’s capabilities
- Drive company, product and team objectives, carrying your team and relevant stakeholders along in the decision-making
- Develop the long-term business strategy driving the team’s work
- Establish and track operational metrics for data products to ensure the team is delivering products that satisfy customer requirements
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Adept at managing and developing a high-performance team through hiring, retaining, mentoring, and continually building the team’s capabilities
- Experience building and maintaining complex software development projects towards deadlines
- Experience establishing standards for quality of work, including clearly designed API interfaces, documentation, thorough test coverage, and leading effective code reviews.
- Proficient at evaluating multiple perspectives and crisply articulating strong opinions based on principles and data.
- Strong emotional intelligence and consensus building skills to create and work within a collaborative environment
- Strong proficiency in C++ including the language specification, standards, and libraries
- Knowledge of cross-platform code and platform-specific package managers and cross-dependencies
- Experience in implementing automated testing platforms and unit tests
- Knowledge of basic localization and navigations concepts such as bearing, dead reckoning, electronic horizon, and working with IMU data is appreciated
What We Value
- We value high performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We value transparent, in-depth communication. Strong culture of open debate, decide, and commit. We value deeply understand problems and solving them at the root.
- We value the spirit of entrepreneurship, action-orientation, and fast moving ethos.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
We are creating a very strong team of professionals able to solve complicated and interesting tasks. We will provide appropriate working conditions, good salary, really nice office in the city center and others.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity